A few questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

When do you let the new kids and mother out in the yard with the rest of the herd?
    I need to get the lgd used to this new little one. When the lgd seen it yesterday she started after him and I had to stop her.
    Then there is one older doe who appeared to try and take this new buck for her own. The older doe has kidded before but it has been a few years and she is due mid Sept with her kids. Will she be a continueing problem?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It really depends....a trial run that you can observe perhaps?

My herd queen had our only doeling 2 and 1/2 weeks ago....mother is a very good mother(protective and attentive)...Baby Faith got out of stall somehow at just a week old and none of the other adult bucks(2) and does(6) bothered this little one...perhaps in fear of herd queens wrath but I was quite surprised :shrug:

I usually wait until they are weaned because then I dont have them stealing milk but herd queen will let her baby nurse for 7months and I'll just milk her once a day after 10h separation...I want doeling to be ready to breed by Dec.

We had a doeling given to us that was weaned and herd queen beat it to death...but she wasnt family....

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've been putting my bottle babies back in the doe pen as soon as they are quick enough on their feet to escape any attempts at butting -- about a week old or so. (My baby pen isn't very big.) But, perhaps because these babies are 'ours', they haven't taken any serious grief from the older goats. They are still recognized by their own moms, even though I've taken them away at birth (after mom cleans them up a bit), and that probably helps, too.

I would say it's going to depend on your goats. You'll just have to watch closely -- don't put them in on a day when you can't be there to keep an eye on things.

Kathleen