A few questions on setup for jersey

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Momof8kiddoes, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

We are looking to get our jersey next week, but have some questions with my setup.
    She will be in an area that we have chickens and goats. Both of their houses have a ramp that they walk up to go into their housing. Will the jersey try to walk up a ramp like that? Its maybe at a 35-45 degree angle, and definately not strong enough to hold a cow.

Also, we have electric fencing, Ive read you have to let them "know" about it. How do I do this?

Thanks,
    Mary F.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, for the fence, you walk her over to her and let her touch it. When we started training heifers at the sheep shed to electric, after we brought them down we would walk them over to the fence and have them touch it.
    It usually only takes once, though it can take a couple of times. Crucible learned when she grabbed a string hanging from a crossfence that was electric.

The Jersey will quite likely nib at the ramps, but depending on how long they are she may or may not try to go up them.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

My cow walked up on my deck! Four steps ... and she was a Holstein ... and Jersies are even more curious and agile than Holsteins!

There's a cow at work (another Holstein) who has learned to climb up into the concrete feed bunks ... she walks back and forth all morning ... jumps down when I round up her group for milking. I don't know how the heck she's getting up there, though!!!

You will probably know whether your Jersey will want to climb the ramp when you find it reduced to kindling on the ground. Or, she may leave it alone entirely ... guess time will tell! :)

As far as the electric fence, I'd just leave her to find out about it on her own. I wouldn't walk her up to it and deliberately sting it ... she might associate the sting with YOU, and try to avoid you as a result.

I have seen cows that have learned to test a fence with their whiskers ... and if it's not on ... away they go! :no:

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Good reply Willow - liked the bit about the ramps being reduced to kindling :)
    But yes, Jerseys can be very curious. I came home one day to find one of mine in the laundry. She had climbed 3 steps on to a small porch then done a sharp left through the back door. When I found her she was happily chewing her cud and gazing out the laundry window. So, as Willow says, she may or may not try to investigate your houseing but if you keep the chook and goat feed in their houses, it is guaranteed she will try and get into them.

I don't introduce animals to electric either, they find out on their own and after having had more than my fair share of belts from fences, I consider it cruel as well as unnecessary to deliberately give an animal a shock.

Enjoy your cow :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Haven't we all, Ronney ... haven't we all! :rolleyes: :haha:

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I feel it better the heifers learn to respect the fence while we are there, ratehr than waiting and them potentionally getting tangled up in it.
    One quick bite is all it takes and we haven't had adverse effects from it. They tend to run to us after it happens.

We are currently having to deal with a herd of heifers who do not respect the fences at all, which is worse than one bite when they are younger...

I don't see it as cruel. They are going to be bit one way or another, better with us there to make sure they see it and run to us for reassurance than them get hurt.

As far as being bit by fences...heh. I grabbed two strand of electric fencing once. That hurt like the dickens..then again I am thin skinned. These Jerseys have some thick skin.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Age will depend whether or not she has a go at the ramp. Our Jersey, 2 years old this past Tuesday the 12th of April, will go up into the silo room if she has the option. Jerseys do tend to get themselves into trouble, more or less due to their curious nature, probably due to them being smart. Now not all Jerseys will try to do some strange things, some are laid back. Now as far as electric fence goes, let them touch it to see what happens. I wouldn't lead them to it, observe them, and I will guarentee they will learn quickly. With ours, we turn it on, and watch. Usually we hear a blat, some yell, adults too. If it's not used to electric at all, some don't even see it, so keep that in mind. We had some calves run through electric fence, they didn't see it and the shock only added to the charge. Had to use page wire. But cows are different.

Jeff