Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse all my picture sharing! I'm just real excited about raising pigs....I'll calm down one of these days...lol.

Pics of the babies from yesterday. Basically 3 weeks old.

Daisy

Sometimes every one of them are on me with 1 or 2 on my head.

the runt...I call him Runty Boy.

Runty Boy on the right..Daisy on left.

Cowgirl

Runty Boy again.

I'll stop there.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Please excuse all my picture sharing! I'm just real excited about raising pigs....I'll calm down one of these days...lol.

Daisy

Cowgirl

Runty Boy again.

I'll stop there.
Last photo female 2nd. from the right. How much you asking for her.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Daisy

Cowgirl

Runty Boy again.

I'll stop there.

Let's see you have them on your head in 6months lol. Have at it with the pics. Doubt anyone here minds. Just be sure you are ready to eat your new friends is all!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last photo female 2nd. from the right. How much you asking for her.
That's my number 4 gilt. My plan at the moment is to keep her in my herd since I am building up my sow numbers. If for some reason I can't afford to keep her or something like that, I can sure let you know. She is at the very top of all of them for taking off and growing. I'm keeping 2 females for breeding...#4 and #7 at the moment. I really like their momma and want to make sure I have plenty of her blood going. Gilt #6 is right with them. Gilt #3 and #5 are behind them some.

My Rosie gilt I just got is a carbon copy of this sow when she was that age...so she'll have a spring litter as well as this sow will of course. I seen where you were looking for different kinds of gilts and asked about some Berk gilts. If you are still looking for Berks next year, I may be able to hook you up with the best female out of a litter or something if you like one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see you have them on your head in 6months lol. Have at it with the pics. Doubt anyone here minds. Just be sure you are ready to eat your new friends is all!
lol...if I don't post pics for a long time, then that's what happened...lol....I let them play on my head at that size...:happy2: I love taking pics! I take lots everyday usually of all kinds of things so I can look back and appreciate it all over again. I hope people don't mind! I've posted thousands all over different message boards and so far haven't been tar and feathered....lol. Oh man, I went from eating grocery store pork all my life right to eating these Berks....no problem eating them...tasty for sure!...:happy2: I've probably always been guilty of playing with my food...just now it's alive while I'm doing it...:happy2:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking litter ya got there.
Thanks! I hope I can get to raising some good pigs and it's not just ah you never think your own kid/baby is ugly type of thing...:happy2:. Hopefully others can eat them and use them for breeding and like them too??? Time will tell I guess. I may go broke and be running hogs out of a van down by the river or no hogs at all living under an overpass on the outskirts of Kansas City in the near future....:happy2:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm taking a pair of Berks to slaughter house in the morning. I have heard they make the best tasting pork. Good luck with yours.
Thanks! Good Luck to you on yours also! You'll have to report back what you think. I have an Oct appointment for the one I'm feeding now...can't wait to get it back! I'm anxious to get to experimenting with different bloodlines within the Berks and ways of feeding to see the effects on taste. I'm shopping for an additional boar right now and going through all the meat involved epd's that a lot of sires have on them. I'm excited! Not sure if I'll go strickly on them but it always seems I learn a lot of things researching stuff like that.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Thanks. Nice looking stock you have.

Best,
Gerold.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

I'm still learning about what is what in the Berk breed, but the dad to my sow here in 2013 was listed 3rd best on one progeny report and 1st on another. Kinda fun looking into that stuff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the pics - don't ever stop!
Thanks! You asked for it...lol....jk! I'll try not to get too carried away!

Here's some from this evening of my butcher barrow....full brother to the piglets above.

I made him a bigger pen.

introduced him to a hot wire first...he hadn't been around one before

about to hit it

hit it

I thought I'd better censor his thoughts here...:happy2:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I love seeing your pics. I really love seeing them in the green grass. I go out to our MUD lot and it kills me. We have had so much rain this year it is a mess. Right behind there mud lot is the 1 acre area a planted for them doing great. To bad we can not swing the cost to get fencing over there yet. Guess that's the way it goes. Great looking pigs and lots you got there!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love seeing your pics. I really love seeing them in the green grass. I go out to our MUD lot and it kills me. We have had so much rain this year it is a mess. Right behind there mud lot is the 1 acre area a planted for them doing great. To bad we can not swing the cost to get fencing over there yet. Guess that's the way it goes. Great looking pigs and lots you got there!
Thanks! Watching the pigs out on green grass is one of my favorite things to do now! You'll get there! Your pigs will be out there before you know it! We can only do what we can do and work towards how we really want things. My sow and baby pigs have turned their run into a dirt lot already. I'm not set up yet to move them and it is bothering me. So in the mean time here, I've been throwing in grass, weeds and hay. I really like where my butcher pig is now...I'm watching him right now off my deck not far away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts