a few breeding questions...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Nov 18, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

okay, I know you are all getting sick of me! But please bear with me! Our buck is chasing this one doe everywhere! She is very obviously in heat because she is VERY swollen and has some drippy type discharge....but she is playing hard to get! Is this a normal part of their mating? She is keeping her tail down and runs from him....
    Should I put them in a smaller area? I thought that the does would WANT to breed :shrug:

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How old is the doe? Has she been bred before? I'm guessing she's either not yet in "standing" heat or she could be one of those rare ones that will not cooperate. I've had two does here for stud service who showed heat signs but ran from the buck, crying bloody murder that I had to hold and literally force to be bred. Both settled.

3. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Is there any chance the doe has already been bred? I have one that will stand for the buck for a couple hours out of one day and then wants nothing to do with him.... guess she's not into long term kinda things lol. On the other hand I also have one that just wouldn't stand for one buck at all, then I put her with the other buck and she was happy as a clam. Lucky for me it doesn't really matter which buck she's bred to, so I let her choose. ;)

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have a doe that has to be held for breeding. I just hold her by the collar and let him have a go. Otherwise, they'd never catch her.