A ewe flock

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Maura, May 12, 2006.

1. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in the process of selling off most of my sheep. I was going to keep a ram flock (the sire, two sons from last year, and maybe one from this year), but the girls are so much easier.

I'm planning on keeping two ewes born last year, one or two born this year, and possibly another that is older. Since some of these ewes werel never breed, is this going to be a problem? Is it better for their health to be bred at least once?

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Well it depends on how old they are now. In the long run it averages out in advantages vs. disadvantages. A ewe who has had a baby every year since she was old enough definatly has it easier, but she'll also be more "used up". A ewe that is older and has lambs may have difficulty but her uterine ligaments will be taut into her old age. It really doesn't make a difference. The only problems you might be facing is that her pubic symphisis may be fused. That's a piece of cartiladge between the the break in the bottom of her pelvis. As she gets older it transforms into bone, so she may be prone to distocia. But she's most likely fine. Only thing you can do is breed her and if there are problems move her on down the line.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

What's distocia? I was going to keep two new lambs, a yearling that did not get bred (or else miscarried), and another yearling that has been bred and gave birth to a single.

4. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

The correct spelling is Dystocia. It means difficult or abnormal birth.

5. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Sorry I guess that distocia would mean double pain. lol.