Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 chickens that were hatched over 2 months ago. I want to place a few in the freezer. Some of them are crowing so I know I have at least one (maybe more) roosters. How can I tell the roosters from the hens?

I always thought you looked at their feet and the roos had an extra spur to attack with; however, I only see 4 toes on each of these chickens and nothing I would call a "spur".

I always thought you could look at their combs and tell; however, some of the best layers (these chickens' mothers) have large combs.

I always thought you could tell by how high and broad the tail feathers are; however, I can't.

Is there a sure way of identifying the genders?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
For us its the crowing the way they carry themselves, the extra, showy tail feathers... also sometimes the comb/ wattles - bright red and more of them....

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
By 3-4 months you should be able to see shiny pointed hackle(around the neck) and saddle(in front of the tail sweeping down the sides) feathers. 4 months is till young enough to roast or put on the grill instead of stewing.

Some (most?) breeds you can tell at 5-6 weeks by the larger growth and color of the wattles and comb.

Post pics and several of folks here should be able to tell you what you've got. Get good whole body side views and close ups of the face/head.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Size,Tail Feathers (rooster tail),and hackle and saddle feathers.

The Hackle on roosters is not necessarily bigger but the feathers are finer and more long then round.

Some may describe them as pointy.

Same with the saddles.

At two months I though my Barred rocks where all hens (I really did not look to close though) and before the third month they all developed rooster tails.

Their pushing 5 months now and still have yet to grow a spur.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, with the information you have all provided, I do believe I have 3 or 4 cockrels. :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have 5 chicks (of mixed breeds) that are 2 months old and they could still go either way. I have my guesses but I do not think that at 2 months the features are really clear, especially not to a beginner like me.

I also have 5 month old Buff Orpingtons and it is very clear who is who.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've actually seen 3 of the largest ones crow and I believe there is a 4th who is crowing as well. (I'll just grab the largest ones and prepare them for the freezer while they're still young enough to make good fryers.)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well, I've actually seen 3 of the largest ones crow and I believe there is a 4th who is crowing as well. (I'll just grab the largest ones and prepare them for the freezer while they're still young enough to make good fryers.)
Just out of curiosity, what kind of chickens are they? Our Buff Orpington (mostly) rooster who is about 5 months old just started crowing. And our 2 month old chickens (I had them from a week old) are nowhere near big enough to go in a freezer. The young ones are mixed but they are mostly Dominique and Barred Rocks. I think I have one that is a black sexlink. But none of them are big enough to eat.

I am new to chickens, so I am wondering what is up with mine ... they seem very "delayed" compared to yours.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I vote for waiting till they are 4 months while you fatten them up for freezer camp. If they don't lay an egg by then...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts