A dog that came to visit and stayed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Feb 26, 2005.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I don't get visitors often, you must be determined or know me to come down my driveway. Big sign that says no trespassing and long driveway to boot that isn't paved.

I come home from town, and see this car driving very slowly back down my driveway towards the road. This girl stopped and I got out, with Lucy the terror dog, yapping her head off. Young lady has this dog in her lap, and ask if it was mine. I said no wasn't mine and she said a neighbor had told her that I might have lost Lucy, but then she realized that Lucy was at the house so turned around to leave.

Well I told her that I couldn't keep the dog, wasn't my dog anyways, and told her to continue her search for the dog's owner. The dog had turned up hurt on her front doorstep and she can't have a dog (busy highway and no fenced yard plus she works full time).

She leaves, I go about vacuuming this dust trap of a house, and lo and behold, here she comes back. I muster all my "no I will not" and the lady says she has spent all afternoon going from house to house looking for the dog's owner. No one claimed the dog so she was going to take it to the pound. I said well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Then the little rascal pops it's head up and looked at me with those terrified little eyes and there went my "no I'm nots" right out of my head. So I took the little thing and gave the girl my phone number and she gave me hers so if either of us can find out who owns this dog, well I'll be giving her back.

Dog owners - question? My vet is closed, this little dog, small like a Chihauha (sp??) or a toy rat terrier is about 5 to 6 lbs. Shivers and shakes alot, but figure she's cold as well as hungry. She appears to have been bit on the lower shoulder (my cat could bite this dog and go clear through her leg) so I didn't want to expose my dogs to her so she's in the barn in a stall. I don't think she was shot unless it was a BB type gun, but I don't know if she's had rabies shots or what. I fed her some warm bread and milk and she ate like she hadn't seen food in a while. I cleaned her leg (it's a puncture wound about the size of a tooth mark with skin around it flailed back. I put nitrofurazone in the wound.

Put the little thing back in the stall. Heck I feel like I should give her a heater or a sweater or something, I've never had a dog this small that wasn't a puppy. She's skinny but not skin and bones, looks like she has been hoofing it for awhile till she finally turned up on that girl's front porch.

Got suggestions? - can't put a heater in the barn and I sold my heat lamps as I don't foal out in the winter anymore.

I know Amos thinks she is definitely snack sized so can't let her out of the stall...oh bother - I KNEW I didn't need another dog, but couldn't let the little thing go to the pound - this dog appears to be full blooded miniature something - closest I can think of is a rat terrier, but perhaps a manchester terrier (she short haired). She's loving, and barks some when she hears something, likes to play so can't be too old.

Thanks
    Sidepasser (a pushover known by all dogs...)

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Awww............whatcha gonna name her? You have a very kind heart.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Sucker! :haha: For now I'd make sure she's got lots of blankets and a box or small kennel to go in for warmth. Maybe if you've got a kennel you could bring her in the house in a room your other dog doesn't go in (or can be shut out of)? You could also heat the blankets or towels in the dryer a couple of times a day and warm up her food and water. She may not be too cold, those little tiny things shiver A LOT when they're nervous. Sounds like you're keeping the wound clean-that's about all I'd do until you can talk to your vet. On Monday make sure to contact all the shelters, etc if the girl who gave her to you didn't. I'm glad she found a nice place to be "found." Sounds like she's a nice little dog (some of them have a tendency to get nippy when they're nervous), so if the owner doesn't show up I'm sure she'll make you (or someone else) a nice pet.

BTW what color is she? Chi's come in all sorts of colors. Toy fox terriers are usually white with a solid color. Manchesters are usually black and tan (I think-I've never actually met one of those).

Sarah

4. sidepasser

Yep sucker for bat ears and brown eyes. She is mostly black on her head, with a tan spot over each eye, a tan lower muzzle, tan inside her ears. A little white stripe down her nose. Neck from the ears to the shoulder is white on top and underneath. She has a half black- half white front leg and one solid white, she sort of has a saddle of black on her back extending down to her tail and halfway down both back legs. She is probably 8 - 9 inches tall and weights maybe 6-7 pounds. Fine boned, and narrow through the chest and hip. I think she's a rat terrior of the mini variety, they come in the small size too. Anyway she looks like Lucy and Lucy is very jealous but soon they'll be playing together.

Very, very active dog, has done non stop exploring in the yard, and I felt sorry for her so I brought her in the house...she whines alot and hasn't made a mess (yet). She licked all the nitrofurazone off, I think she is too late to have stitches though the wound gapes open..wonder if plain old purple medicine would work?

When I say "come here" she comes and sits at my feet. When I say "sit" she sits down and stays. Someone has spent some time with this dog and I hope I can find out who she belongs to (and I hope that they will pick up the vet bill as I think I had better get her a rabies shot and tetanus/parvo/distemper just in case. She had no tags or collar on but her haircoat is pretty soft like an indoor dog.

We'll see, my grandmother would have called her a fiest, but actually I think she's smaller than most of those dogs. Right now she laying in my lap sleeping - she ate a slice of bologna with her second small bowl of milk and toast. I have to get her some small dog food - she can't chew the big kind, heck she can barely get it in her tiny mouth...ha!

She gets nothing else till morning, I am afraid she'll get sick.

Sidepasser - who can't say no very well...

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

That little dog can feel "I CARE" written all over your being. They can't read but they can feel it. :p

Tiny dogs shake when they are nervous, unsure of their surroundings or feel threatened and are scared. I fostered an abused Chihauha and in two days he was jumping in my chair if I even thought about sitting down.

The first day while holding him in my lap cuddling him, he put his forehead on my left thigh, he put pressure on me and sighed a very loud sigh of relief, almost like a crying sound as though he finally found someone that wouldn't abuse him. I've never heard such a sound of relief from any animal in my life. It was as though he knew he wouldn't be thrown, caught in a car door or kicked again. I had to be careful because I was afraid of squashing the little guy when I sat down.

I told the man that saved him that I didn't know this elusive, biting animal was a lap dog and the man told me he didn't know it either and I was the first person the dog allowed to touch him. This dog was at least 4 years old, skinny from not enough food or water and had been kept in a small cage in the wintertime with no bedding to warm him. He stunk like dog poo and urine when he was brought to me. :waa:

A loving home was found for him with someone in whose arms he melted in a fraction of a heartbeat. Saving critters and finding a good good home for them is so fulfilling. If you can't keep the little gal I hope you'll be able to find a good home for her. :)

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

keep her seperated, clean her poo up IMMEDIATEY ! ( that can transfer parvo too.
    in the mean time, call the sheriff and report her as found, perhaps someone has called her in as missing,
    if you have a county shelter , call them and report her as found too ( personally i would give it time before i took her there, )
    them little rat dogs shiver from nerves as much as anything , just like a puppy will shiver if nervous

take care of her as best you can , till monday
    then call no9t just your vet, but any area vets too , if you have a fax machine and a scanner you can fax them a found poster .... :D
    try and find her owner, someone lovedo n this dog at one time ....

oh , one last thought , check her tummy for a scar from her spaying .... sometimes owners will let a dog go if she got "caught" by a neighbor dog and they dont want the problems of unplanned p ups.

7. sidepasser

Hi,

Well this little girl is completely housebroken, knows stay as well as sit, and come. Do you think it is ethical to post notices that say:

Found small dog in "my area", owner must identify and pay vet bill?

I know the vet bill on this dog will cost me at least $100 - maybe more depending on what the doc does about the hole in her leg and whether or not she has been "caught" by another male dog. I check for a spaying scar and she doesn't have one, so don't think she has been spayed.

I want to find her owner but don't want to post pictures all over town of her as someone "bad" might claim her and then sell her to a lab. We've had incidents of dogs being stolen and then sold to labs here recently - the sheriff's department notified dog owners to be especially careful when leaving their dogs outside unattended. This was in subdivisions as well as rural areas. In my area there were four dogs stolen over one weekend right out of the owner's yards.

But if the real owner can identify her, I want them to have her back, just would like them to pay the vet bill. Of course if the real owner is elderly or obviously can't pay, then I'll suck it up and give the dog back.

Is that right? Morally I would offer to pay any vet bill that was incurred if my dog got lost, but not everyone would do that or could do that financially.

Thanks and I haven't named her as I don't know whether she's staying or not - don't want to get too attached...(yeah right...)

Sidepasser

8. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

This is meant for all the people who dump their dogs
    on the country roads....

I found your dog today. No, he has not been adopted by anyone. Most of us who live out here own as many dogs as we want, those who do not own dogs do so because they choose not to. I know you hoped he would find a good home when you left him out here, but he did not. When I first saw him he was miles from the nearest house and he was alone, thirsty, thin and limping from a cactus burr in his paw.

How I wish I could have been you as I stood before him. To have seen his tail wag and his eyes brighten as he bounded into your arms, knowing you would find him, knowing you had not forgotten him. To see the forgiveness in his eyes for the suffering and pain he had known in his never-ending quest to find you...But I was not you. And despite all my persuasion, his eyes beheld a stranger. He did not trust, he would not come.

He turned and continued his journey; one he was sure would soon bring him to you. He does not understand you are not looking for him. He only knows you are not there, he only knows he must find you. This is more important than food or water or the stranger who can give him these things.

Persuasion and pursuit seemed futile; I did not even know his name. I drove home, filled a bucket with water and a bowl with food and returned to where we had met. I could see no sign of him, but I left my offering under the tree where he had sought shelter from the sun and a chance to rest. You see, he is not of the desert. When you domesticated him, you took away any instinct of survival out here. His purpose demands that he travel during the day. He doesn't know that the sun and heat will claim his life. He only knows he has to find you.

I waited hoping he would return to the tree; hoping my gift would build an element of trust so I might bring him home, remove the burr from his paw, give him a cool place to lie and help him understand that the part of his life with you is now over. He did not return that morning and at dusk the water and food were still there untouched. And I worried. You must understand that many people would not attempt to help your dog. Some would run him off, others would call the county and the fate you thought you saved him from would be preempted by his suffering from days without food and water.

I returned again before dark. I did not see him. I went again early the next morning only to find the food and water still untouched. If only you were here so you could call his name. Your voice is so familiar to him. I began pursuit in the direction he had taken yesterday, doubt overshadowing my hope of finding him. His search for you was desperate, it could take him many miles in 24 hours.

It is hours later and a good distance from where we first met, but I have found your dog. His thirst has been stopped, it is no longer a torment to him. His hunger has disappeared, he no longer aches. The burrs in his paws bother him no more. Your dog has been set free from his burdens, you see, your dog has died.

I kneel next to him and I curse you for not being here yesterday so I could have seen the glow, if just for a moment, in those now vacant eyes. I pray that his journey has taken him to that place I think you hoped he would find. If only you knew what he went through to reach it.... and I agonize, for I know, that were he to awaken at this moment, and (if) I were to be you, his eyes would sparkle with recognition and his tail wag with forgiveness.

Kudos HJ.. For helpin Boomer & You Sidepasser

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

A hot water bottle can help keep her warm in her sleeping area. And if all you have is big dog food, you might try crunching it in a blender or food processor or in a baggie cruch it with a rolling pin.

You might read the lost/found ads for a few days as well. But truly, I find that few people are looking for the lost dogs we find. Tell your vet what is going on and they may give you a break on the cost. We sometimes have vet clinic where the shots are much cheaper because there is no office visit fee.

As to the money, well, before we had dogs, a neighbor's dalmation laid claim to me. He spent every waking hour outside with me or on my porch. He was a lovely companion and helped us train our first dog. I still miss him. He wasn't ours, but we asked our neighbor to let us pay to have him neutered and get his shots. They always had unwanted puppies from their female dogs, never went to the vet, so they said ok. We gladly did and he was around for several years before their son took him out of state. My point is, some people cannot see spending money on dogs. It was several more years before they learned to take their dogs to the vets at all. I guess we showed them by example over time.

Just know that you may never see that money again and be content with that. We also neutered a little beagle who spent weeks with us. He ended up dissappearing on his own later, but I never regretted the money because I knew there were that many less puppies left unwanted somewhere. Maybe your local shelter can offer some advice about the cost since you are not taking him there.

10. sidepasser

Hi,

Thanks everyone, I figured that this little dog may have been an indoor dog and that if the owner thought "well she only goes out to use the bathroom, she doesn't need shots" kind of thing. A lot of people do that if they have an inside dog. Only problem is sometimes the inside dog becomes an outside dog like this one did. She shows no signs of ever wearing a collar, her neck fur is smooth and not worn like a dog that wears a collar gets sometimes.

I couldn't let her go to the pound here, they only keep dogs 3-4 days then they can't keep them anymore - too many dogs and the shelter isn't big enough to house them all.

If I can't keep her (depends on Amos and whether he'll let her live or not..I'm scared to find out until he's been around her a week or so through the stall gate) I'll find someone to give her to that wants an indoor dog - at least she quit shivering, now she scoots under the woodheater and lays there where it is warm.

Take care,
    Sidepasser

11. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Take your big dogs food put it in a plastic bag and smack it with a hammer or something. Then maybe your new little freind can eat some dog food.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My experience with 'second hand' dogs is that they will make the most faithful companion ever,they know what being in a loving home that wants them means.Probably had more used dogs than new ones over the years.
    Sure hope you can keep her,if I was close to pick her up I would give her a home,Im in socal btw.
    I like and have had little teeny dogs,huge dogs,and all sizes in between.They all have lots to offer,and the little guys are the easiest of all to care for,they will fit into any nook or cranny you might have for them.As you know(Lucy is small,correct?).
    Enjoy your new bestest friend,you saved a life,thats a great thing to do.And lay down the law to Amos,we had a dog that salivated and shook because she wanted to destroy our kitty,but a stern reminder(or 700 or so) from us she manged to get over it,and 6 months later they were sleeping together.So just make it clear to Amos,you are alpha dog,this is the new pack member,so get over it.
    Hope it works out OK.
    BTW,keep the vet bill and present it to owner,i know I would GLADLY pay it to get my dog back.Also,somehow what you say makes me think she is lost,not abandoned.And the fax her picture to the local vets(mentioning vet bills is A-OK in my book) is a very good idea.

BooBoo

13. mightybooboo

Instant dog sweater-take the leg of a pair of sweat pants,or the arm of a sweater.cut a tube that will fit the dog,put a couple slits for front legs=instant dog sweater.
    Been there,done that,it really works.
    Oh,and she may need a squeeky toy to play with,little dogs seem to like those things for some reason.Ours loves the stuffed animals with the squeekers that he can fight with til he rips its squeekin' little heart out. :eek:

BooBoo

14. mightybooboo

15. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs that size cannot stay warm. A sweater would be a good investment. I'd also call the vet offices in the area, the pound, animal shelter, and look on petfinder. Your vet will probably want to give the dog a rabies shot, just in case. They can also run a titer to determine if she's been vaccinated. The titer isn't efficient, I don't think, in telling you how recently she was vaccinated, but will tell if she's been vaccinated at all. She sounds like a real nice dog, but if you don't want to keep her contact a small dog/chihuahua/rat terrier rescue and let them know you have her.

16. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Those toy dogs are usually expensive and sought-after pets. I can't believe nobody is looking for her ! Do try to keep her warm, we once had a Chihuahua for awhile, I made a sweater for her out of one of DH's old wool boot socks. I cut off the foot part, just used the leg part, put two little holes for her front legs to go through, slipped it on her, turned the top cuff back around her neck. She thought she was hot stuff!
    If you can't keep her, I bet it would be easy to find a home for a little thing like that. Elderly people like little dogs - is there a senior living complex in your area ? Good luck - my guess is somebody is looking for her, hopefully !

17. sidepasser

Hi,

My Mom came over and saw the new dog and said someone should keep her, then said I should just keep her...ahhh, relatives...

Went to birthday party for grandchild, new dog now has new chew toys, little bitty pedigree dog kibble, and is sleeping on a wool blanket on couch...I've been had I tell ya, just totally had... :)

Sidepasser and the pooch

18. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

:dance:

Blessings Sidepasser

KC~

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Ahhhh...sidepasser....sounds like a birthday of sorts for the pooch!

Enjoy being had, as it is one of life's pleasures.

20. mightybooboo

Yep,thats your dog now.Be sure to keep us updated on how they adapt around the home.Little girl has it made now,and you too.Nice story.

BTW,Ive never been able to turn a dog away,except the pitbull(many years ago).He was real nice and friendly,but he beat on my German Shephard(took him a month to figure out how,as shephard could get on top of him and pin him.He finally dragged shephard under the singlewide,nailed shep good !,smart pooch that pit).I was afraid he might get aggressive protecting the property,and really shook the shep,so he had to leave.

BooBoo