a doe in heat.. what does it look like?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Jun 21, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

How do you know when your doe is in heat?

2. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

We are new to goats but from what I have seen and read - some goats show signs and others do not. I have one doe that shows lots of signs and the others show less and less. Typically, during estrus, the vaginal area swells, there may be some discharge, lots of tail wagging, trying to get close to the buck (if you have one), they may be trying to mount other does as well as sticking their tongue out. You can get a clean washcloth, rub it on the bucks head, and let your girls smell it. The ones in heat should show signs, aside from curiousity.
    Do you have Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats? Great book!

3. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Kanpope is right...I have a few does that won't tell you anything. That's where the buck and the wether come in handy. If you don't want a buck in there, you could just keep a wether around. He should let you know. I have one very shy and sweet British Alpine. I NEVER hear a peep out of her...not even at daily feedings, but she talks real low when she's in estrus. It's really cute.

Tail flagging, mounting other does or being mounted by other does, talking, reduced appetite, and those listed by kanpope are some to look for.

Hope this helps :)

Malissa