Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
That looks interesting!

I get the wheel, with the pot sitting on it.

I can't tell if the bottom piece is also a wheel?

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
Ah, yes, thank you PB :D

Looks like the bottom is an inch or two smaller size then the top one. Pretty easy stuff to scavenge if you don't already have it.

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
Shoot Angie, now I'm over on youtube lookin at all sorts of alternative stove material vids that I haven't seen before. :whistlin:

Reactions: terri9630

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got to give you a project. I'm thinking this would be neat when you get to a piece of property, and find it junked up with maybe old cars or dead mobile home pieces, and at least this could help with heat while you take care of other issues.

I'm wanting to do this over at my folks, they have a concrete parking pad that would make it safe to try.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I've been seeing it too. It looks like a great idea. Say a 15 inch and a 16 inch rim. Notice the pieces on the bottom of the bottom rim that keep it off of the ground, to allow air under.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I'm gonna show this to my son...he comes up with things like extra wheels all the time (loves to tinker with engines and anything vehicle related, especially Ford trucks), and has the cutting torch and welder to make it. I think I'll tell him it's what I want for Christmas! :)

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I really like that. It reminds me of the Volcano stove. I wonder if any of our talented S&EP folks make this, maybe you could do a tutorial for us on how to make it?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
I guess the wheels are welded together, not just relying on gravity? If you couldn't weld you could maybe wire them together.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
It looks like they used the pieces cut from the rims for the firebox opening to make the legs underneath the stove. Good way to use up the spare parts, and you could make it stand a little taller that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,689 Posts
Its a nice repurpose of old steel tire rims but I have done the same thing for power outage stoves just by salvaging worn out gas grills from my friends.

I take the grill body off the pedestal, gut it of whatever is left of the gas burner and set it on the ground secured in place with some large rocks in front of my yard swing to use as a dead fall oak limb fuel grill pit.

When not used as a outdoor wood stove to grill on or use a cast iron frying pan or dutch oven on, I use it as a trash blow down twig incinerator to collect wood ash from to break down tree stumps or amend my garden.

For an indoor emergency stove I made a grill rack of an old metal folding chair and some diamond mesh screen where the seat was to hold a soup pan or coffee pot and set my Mr. Heater under it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts