A deer fence of ribbon & yarn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Maria, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

We tilled up a new garden this year but didn't have time (or money) to put in a real fence to keep the deer out. Within a week, they'd nipped off two tomato plants and three pepper plants. :waa:

So, we did a quickie double row fence consisting of just a few t-posts and those fiberglass rod posts. The inner row has only a single strand of yellow ribbon at the top of it.

The outer row has three strands of yarn on it. There are about 3-4 feet between the rows.

The deer have left our garden completely alone since then. :D I should mention that the satin ribbon on the inner row dances and shimmers in the breeze, and generally looks quite unnatural. This might explain the reluctance of the deer to come close.

Anyway, here's a picture of it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Maria/deerfence.jpg I'm not going to try to hot link it because I had to leave the picture pretty big so that you could see the ribbon and yarn at all.

I'm kinda proud of this. :) I'd read that they wouldn't try to jump a double fence, but never wanted to invest the resources to try it. So, I tried this and IT WORKS! Weird..... if only they knew they could just nibble the yarn and walk right in. :haha:

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thats a great idea !! if they become used to that you could try hanging old smeelly socks (human scent) . we don't mind the deer ,they tend to stay away from the gardens but have a problem with coyotes . there was an article on a similar idea to ward them off so will have to try ,thanks had forgoten that idea !!

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Now if you add some multcolored flagging like they use at car dealerships you can keep the birds out too!!! ;)

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Good idea.....

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Like your idea, though we need to keep out coyotes, rabbits and other small animals. So, we use 4' of stock and then barbed wire to 7'.

[​IMG]
    This little guy and two of his buddies just walked by yesterday, looked, but won't jump 7' -- they will jump 6'. That's the garden fence corner, with the bird house on top. That's a treated 8' 2 x 4 attached to 4-5" treated posts and braced. Top wire is one-foot down from the top of the 2 x 4.

Good Luck.

Alex

6. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

That's similar to the one we have on our first garden, Alex. Here's a picture of it: [​IMG]

We added the chicken wire this year, because our birds were causing problems. Last year it was just the electric wire with the over hanging bit at the top, but with the addition of the chicken wire we can't electrify it any more. It doesn't seem necessary anyway. The fluttery thing hanging right over the deer's heads seems enough of a deterrant.

Last year we used yellow "caution" tape from the hardware store for the overhead bit. It worked while it lasted, but tore up in the wind pretty fast. Plus it was ugly. I LIKE the little yellow ribbon. The satin is standing up well under all kinds of weather and it's surprisingly strong. Its also pretty cool how the twists in the ribbon make the patterns of light and dark zig zag back and forth across it in even the slightest breeze.

It's a good fence, but considerably more of an investment in resources and time than we were able to do on this second garden this year. I like the simplicity of the yarn and ribbon one!

Deer are our main problem as far as gardens go. Unless they are kept out they just browse on everything.

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Thanks, it's nice to see pictures, words are good too.

Thanks,

Alex

btw The first few years we had CDs hanging from blue baler twin, and a wind scok whirling around. Then the CDs and wind sock blew down and we didn't put them back.

No crows in the garden: so, we put up two bird houses for the barn swallows -- they don't bother us in the garden and I guess they eat the mosquitoes.