A CURE for Crohns

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by thedonkeyman, Nov 21, 2006.

1. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

I'm searching for a natural cure for the condition known as crohns, the bleeding Colon ulcer condition, where they wind up taking the colon out. I know of a teenager that lives in the out back in a swamp, and the Doctors she has been to are not that good.
    Some one told us that a Doctor in, I think Ohio had cured several people , but we can not find him/her ?
    Any information or personal experiences with this condition would be appreciated.

2. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Get the boo.. "patient Heal Thy self."

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd call it a cure but I've been in total remission since 1997. I had both ulcerative colitis and Crohns; severe enough to have had 5 surgeries in 13 yrs plus 7 more hospitalizations for obstructions.
    I'd been on all sorts of meds including Flagyl and 100mg of Prednisone a day.

In 1997 I finally realized that I didn't have a very good prognosis long term and I had endured all the surgeries to the point of having an ileostomy and only 19" of small bowel left. :Bawling: I had spent a sum total of 17 mos hospitalized within a 7 yr period-something had to change! :Bawling:

So I researched and started taking Olive Leaf Extract for the infection, Cat's Claw for the inflammation and Oregano Oil for any bacterial or viral infections floating around..
    In my case, my Gasteroenterologist, Infectious Disease Doctor and Surgeon were supportive since I was at the end of most medical/surgical options that would still allow me to have a 'normal' life without tube feedings.

I don't know if this combo would work for other Crohns sufferers but in my case it did work and it worked well for me. I'm alive, active, feel good and best of all-I'm no longer nauseated 20 hrs a day or having any more intestinal bleeding.

I'd suggest the book; Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James and Phylis Balch.
    Prescription for Nutritional Healing

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

May wanna try the Activia by Dannon yougurt. Has probiotic stuff. I know one person who was having troubles after surgery, not Crohn's, of course, but had improvement of function (bowel) after just a few days eating this. I did buy some for us today, and we'll see if we note any digestive change.
    good luck with your problems
    Margo

p.s.----The Maker's Diet a book by Jordan S. Rubin available now at bookstores, addresses Crohn's and many other maladies.

5. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was going to recommend this myself. Jordan Ruben had over 20 different diseases, including Chron's and through his plan that he lays out he is completely well now.
    There is another book by him that he actually wrote after all that happened, called "The Maker's Diet". It explains what is needed to heal yourself.

6. bonsai jim

bonsai jim Well-Known Member

None of which stands up to any kind of real scrutiny.... I would see if you can find a copy in the library or borrow one without wasting your hard earned money. Take anything in any of these "natural" or "miracle diet" books with a large grain of salt.

I think this man and others like him are in a class of people populated by lawyers, wife beaters and child molesters... It takes advantage of those in a state of weakness, innocence or total desperation for some relief and hope... I'm sure I will get majorly flamed for this opinion...

There is no miracle cure. You are fighting an autoimmune disorder. Your body is reacting to something. The essence of what you should glean from the above author's books is that you need to find your own personalized approach - part of which will involve a diet change to a more simplified one.

Think of this as finding out what you are allergic to. Look to eliminating all processed foods from your diet. You may also have to avoid high fiber foods for a while -eat fresh vegetables and low acid fruits, low fiber breads and cereals, lean protein, no dairy (yogurt, maybe), lots of water. Also get lots of rest and avoid stress. Meditate, pray, exercise whatever you are up to and like to do.

Keep a food diary where you record what you eat and how you feel- there may be lags in exposure vs. effect. There will be a lot of trial and error.

Hunt down "Eating right with a bad gut" by James Scala. I think there's a new version out...

"Nutritional Healing" is another.

I would not drop modern medicine cold turkey. Most of your homeopathics and "natural cures" are no better or worse or safer than what you are doing now. Use the best of all worlds.

My "credentials"... severe UC diagnosed in 1990 at the age of 20, along with severe anemia and malnutrition. Experienced severe migraines- "unrelated"; darn lucky I didn't own a gun... Predni-monster until 1998, similar doses that you discuss. Severely damaged my relationships with everyone around me, as well as a lot of walls- baaad pookey!

Only medicine that worked was immuno-suppressants. Worked great until my colon perforated during a routine colonoscopy; currently have a j-pouch.

Went from something less than 100 pounds to a fat 'n happy 175... no migraines.

I read every book out there, tried more things than I can remember... Aloe Vera juice, the oregano concoction, acidopholus and probiotics, every diet....

Sorry if I offend the "homeopaths" with my opinions but there's just too much hooey for a scientific mind...

jim

7. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

Everybody is different. If they haven't checked already, see if the drs. will check you out for H. pylori; it's a bacteria. Several people I know were diagnosed w/ Crohn's, and it turned out to be this, many years later. Be careful of the yogurt. In my twenties I almost died from parasites, from working in other countries (and I was the most careful; only boiled liquids and food, even to brush teeth). One of the things to go first was the ability to eat/drink milk products. By the way, half the world doesn't eat these as adults and they live fine. Anyway, the dr was urging me to eat yogurt for the probiotics, and I got holes (real holes) in the intestines from this. Also, Dannon's Activia has a lot of sugar in it, and no more cultures that their plain one without sugar. Sometimes, sugar is part of the problem. Yes,Crohn's is an immune condition, but some people do get better. At one point, I got tested for food allergies caused by Flagyl and the parasites. I avoided with difficulty all the foods that came back positive, (basically it was all the foods I ate growing up!) and started to heal. I'm still alive 26 yrs. later while the others in the program at the hospital ALL died. (My original diagnosis was Crohn's, which I now believe to be incorrect). The hardest part is to not give up. And obviously you aren't!

8. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Yet most drugs are sythetic forms of natural herbs........
    There are some quacks out there, DR. Ruben is not one of them.

Why would you suppress your bodies natural immune response? Seems better to fix the problem than to cover up the symptoms. If you had a leaky radiator in your car would you stick some bubble gum in the hole? Well maybe if you had to get home and there was no choice, but that bubble gum won't fix the problem for ever.

9. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with Chrohn's when I was 15. I had a blocked intestine when I was 19 and rushed to John's Hopkins Hospital, which is where I had my first and, so far only, bowel resection. They took about 6 inches and I know I am lucky! I was in remission for 14 years, when all of a sudden, I started to get pains in my right side of my abdomen, the ileum area. The intestine was closing and none of the other Chrohn's medications were working, so my doctor recommended Remicade. I swear, this is a miracle drug. It is done interveniously. You get 3 treatments and each treatment last about 2 hours. The first treatment the first week, the second treatment 2 weeks later and then the third treatment at 4-6 weeks. Then you continue treatments every 8 weeks. I have not had any flare ups since my first treatment and if it wasn't for Remicade, I would of had surgery again. Oh, I also am very careful of what I eat. So, all my fellow Chrohn's sufferers, please look into this treatment. :hobbyhors

10. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Horse milk. Takes about 3wks to get the gut to heal. Raw is best. You can buy powdered on-line.

Lifestyle and dietary changes are probably in order as well.

11. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Probiotics. Our cousin completely cured. Small pearl shape pill he takes twice a day - you can get it at the local HFS. Basically just good bacteria.

12. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Doctor that you're looking for is Dr. Fazio. He is a colo-rectal surgeon, probably the best in the United States.

I had ulcerative colitis, prior to surgery to remove the colon 4 1/2 years ago. I have a permanent ileostomy. I live a normal healthy, happy life. I went primitive camping 5 weeks after the surgery and haven't stopped since. I farm and garden, kayak and swim, ride horses and travel extensively. I teach school every day and parent my three kids. I have a happy little husband who is very glad I didn't die. Our relationship remains healthy and strong in every way.

In the 7 months from diagnosis to surgery, I tried every drug regimen AND the above mentioned diets and natural products. UC and Crohns are, almost certainly, a result of the immune system gone awry on your own body. Some treatments/diets/herbal remedies would appear to work for a brief period of time. In the end, I'd have bled to death had I not had my colon removed. I did NOT travel to Cleveland, but did my research and located the best colo-rectal surgeon in SC. For many people, medications/ diets and herbs will render more positive results than I had for a period of of time, until another flare. Until more research yields a cure for the disease, surgery is almost always the end result. The other choice is death.

I am a post surgical visitor in my local area. I'm a part of a national organization, the UOAA. United Ostomy Association of America. Our organization has a large number of active young people who live abundant lives with an ostomy. The young ones have an annual conference. (Actually, there are many people of EVERY age in UOAA) I visit by phone as well. There are members in every location who can get you information and put you in contact with medical personel. If you'd like you can send me a PM and I will be happy to call you and help if I can.

sincerely,
    dawn

13. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease have similar symptoms but very different treatments. Colectomy can cure ulcerative colitis, a condition limited to the colon--no colon, no colitis.

But Crohn's disease can affect any location in the digestive tract from the mouth to the anus, and actually results in poorer healing of the digestive tract if any surgery is done, such that people generally try to *avoid* surgery for someone with Crohn's.

Instead of herbal cures you should be looking into this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=51499

or this:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gu...onid=B01B6E7F9049B93CE8731CE6AD57CEC1?order=2

Note that if she joins a clinical trial, all trial-related medication and medical treatment should be paid for by the trial, and in some cases the patients are paid to participate as well. She'd have to talk to the people running the trial to find out if it is something she wants to try; the one I listed above is phase III, meaning the drug has been found to be relatively safe compared to the condition which it treats and is now being tested for efficacy.

14. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    PS: an amoeba infection can mimic ulcerative colitis, and both UC and Crohn's disease have a waxing and waning course--so it is not unusual to hear about an herbal 'cure' for these illnesses where someone took probiotics or what-not and 'got better'--either because they were misdiagnosed in the first place, or because that particular flare was over on its own and the 'cure' had nothing to do with what the flare did.

Now, if someone had a randomized controlled trial with their herbal/probiotic cure showing that the disease waned more often in the herbal treatment group than the control group, then you could say the herbal or probiotic cure worked.

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

They also use their own bio-engeneered bacteria. I won't touch Dannon.

16. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'm one of the unusual ones, adult onset Crohn's. Took the docs awhile to figure out what it was as it usually begins in the teen years or earlier. It is pretty much under control with daily immunosupressants, topical anti-inflamatories and smooth muscle relaxers. I have diabetes, so no steroids. So, most days I don't have any problems. Stress and lots of physical exertion will bring on a flare. Due for my 5 year colonoscopy next month. Oh Joy!
    Immunosupressants are used because it is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system attacks its own tissues. They work well for me, except every little cut gets infected if I'm not careful and cuts and scrapes take a lot longer to heal. But its better than spending half my day on the toilet screaming for mercy.

17. cgeaux

cgeaux Member

:grouphug: I just want to thank everyone, esp. "the donkeyman" for all the posts and helpful advise. The victim is my 16 yr old daughter, DX 3 yrs ago at the point of death with UC/borderline Crohn's. she is on her 4th bought/3rd flair up after the initial crisis. She's currently on Colozal, prednisone, her alovera gel caps, her fish oil caps, AND now that she had a flair that went into a full blow crisis 10 days ago, iron and I found (through research AND remembering her pediatrician at Fort Hood had told me that it would not only correct constipation but actually control/stop diarreah)......that psyllium powder dissolved in water (8oz water/2 tsp psyllium) 10-20 mins before each meal and at bedtime WILL control and stop the bleeding in a matter of hours....Tues a week ago she was bleeding to death and her MD is 425 miles away at Wilford Hall USAF Hospital in San Antonio TX ( no local GI doctors [depression area of Louisiana] will take TriCare ins so we travel nearly 9 hrs to see the MD that originally DX her)......we're a military family so the gov't chooses the doctors for us.....more research at 2am 3 days ago and I found that the MD's in the UK have found that RAW COLOSTRUM from cows will not only heal crohn's leisions, but actually grow back the diverticuli in the necrotic areas......I am so excited, will be taking stock in the metamucil companies and finding some dairy or a goat to freshen soon and start milking.....I am so excited, I told my daughter if our little jennet delivers soon, I'll go steal some colostrum for her and milk the jennet, the new baby will just have to share.....meanwhile, we're hunting for a dairy goat to freshen soon......thanks everyone for the wonderful advise, concern and support. I have books to get and start reading....THANKS AGAIN. cgeaux

18. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

Hubby suffered for years with ever worsening ulcerative colitis. He is an over the road trucker and his life had gotten totally miserable. Pain, cramping, watery stools, lots of blood. He began to loose weight and was unable to keep up with the lose of calories.(when first diagnosed we had insurance) now as an owner operator, that's long gone. He tried all sorts of meds, herbs (cat claw did help some) every *colon* diet suggested. He had drug reactions, never more then a slight, shortlived improvement. He was becoming more and more depressed. I became more and more desperate to help him. I finally found a clinical trial that was done in the UK. It involved the use of transdermal nicotine. SO.. with nothing to loose. We bought over the counter generic Nicoderm patches (he began with the 21 mg size) Put one on and waited (he refused to get his hopes up. found the whole idea weird LOL) BUT>>>> within 48 hours he began to improve. Not just a little but a lot! On day three, there was no more blood. His stools became firmer, he went from having to go 15 or more times a day to 2! He wore a patch faithfully everyday. (we can't recall how long he stayed on the high 21mg, but he did go down to 14, he continued with the patches for 18 months or so. To be honest, it was just fear of returning symptoms that kept him wearing them so long) It's now been a year off the patches and he's still doing great. I'm not a doctor and don't know all the risks. We did keep a CLOSE EYE on his blood pressure the entire time he wore the patches. He found that if he wore the patch at night (he began to remove it at bedtime after about 6 months, because they gave him really, really vivid dreams) Hubby's life (and mine) is once again worth living. He's healthy, happy. It still seems like a miracle to us. After all the doctors, all the drugs, all the tests, all the pain and discomforts, years of this. A simple over the counter treatment made all the difference in the world. It was always a bit odd explaining to folks why my non-smoking husband always had a nicotine patch. I know a lot of folks here suffer from the agony of UC. What worked for us, might not work for all....but I just felt wrong not at least sharing our findings.
    susie

19. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

You might want to make a plea on the cattle forum for raw colostrum. When my jersey freshened I was told to keep the colostrum and freeze it in case we ever had a calf that lost a mother. I kept it three years and just threw mine out this summer. (actually I fed it to the dogs).

That would be great if this would help.