A cucumber question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MomInGa, May 14, 2004.

1. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

I have a cucumber question yall.

I'm allergic to cucumbers (sadly shakes head and is...dern it) but I can eat pickles just fine. (guess its the pickling process that fixes it)
    In fact, the few times I travelled to New York City (years ago) I just fell in love with the way different deli's offer homemade pickles. They were wonderful. Like the Italian Deli's pickles were different from the Jewish deli I tried, etc.
    Crunchy, wonderful, delicious, icy cold pickles.
    (ok, making myself hungry...so let me ask the question)

I had tried to grow cucumbers a long time ago and couldnt even touch the plants. Broke out in hives all over.
    But someone told me that they had heard there was a cucumber that people who normally could not grow them, could. I looked for information on this, but didnt find it.

Do yall know what they were talking about? Is there a cucumber that people can grow who are allergic to them or who cant normally cant grow them?

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Have you tried the Englsh cukes, the really long thin ones? That's about as different a cuke I can think of....except those gross yellow ones (mushy)
    I like the half sour deli pickles too. Great with a Rueben........

3. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Could it be the "burpless" cucumbers? I'm guessing here as I have never heard of anyone being allergic to cucumbers....but I know my mom can't eat regular cucumbers, but can these...but I don't think hers is a serious allergy issue.

Doing some research...just found this out: "Anyone allergic to pollen or aspirin should avoid eating cucumbers. They can cause an upleasant mouth itch.".....interesting.

Unable to find anything else....so maybe someone can give you a definitel answer.

4. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I will look into it. Least its a start and I might just hit on the cucumbers she was talking about!

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

The burpless ones are really nice. Not as bad as the regular ones. I also have problems with them. English or burpless--its the same thing. Good luck.