Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those Mosin Nagant M91 military surplus rifles. The blueing is coming off, I thought of using some high temp satin black spray paint to touch it up. Is this a bad idea?

Next question, I was told by some people that hog hunting with a .22 would be a bad idea. My friend thought it would work just find but I am a little skeptical myself. So is a .22 too undersized for hog hunting?

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Naw!!!! I use to kill hogs all the time with a 22 rifle. I made sure the end of the barrel was no more then 6 inches away from their forehead. However, I've never tried that on wild hogs. Probably never will either.

As for the M91, I would either take it to a gunsmith and have it reblued, or do it myself.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,644 Posts
I would never hunt Hogs with a .22.Seen a guy shoot a small Pig 4 times wit 12Ga. Slugs before it dropped.I also shot a Boar with 50Cal. Muzzleloader,just to have it run 80 yards towards me before dropping at my feet.

No a Full Grown Wild Hog with a .22 is just not a real good idea.

big rockpile

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have one of those Mosin Nagant M91 military surplus rifles. The blueing is coming off, I thought of using some high temp satin black spray paint to touch it up. Is this a bad idea?

Next question, I was told by some people that hog hunting with a .22 would be a bad idea. My friend thought it would work just find but I am a little skeptical myself. So is a .22 too undersized for hog hunting?
Go to www.russian-mosin-nagant.com and find out what type of Mosin that you have. If it is a rare variant, don't reblue it and for heaven's sake don't paint it:hand:. It could negatively affect the guns value to a collector.

My dos centavos.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Not sure that I'd try it myself (outside of a situation of necessity), but I know lots of folks that hunt hogs with a .22, and shoot 'em right behind the ear. Myself, I'll stick with the .357 mag revolver, and .44 mag carbine. I definitely wouldn't want to go tracking a wounded hog through the woods with nothing more than a .22.
That Nagant would make fine hog medicine, though. I killed several with mine before I sold it. If memory serves, the cheap Russian hunting loads (Barnhaul) I used to keep around were 203 gr jacketed soft points....hits 'em like a cannonball.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You'll know the answer to that question when the enraged hog you just shot with the 22tries to rip off your legs. Use your 7.62 with soft point ammunition. That gun should be your choice for hogs.

·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a very foggy memory of my dad shooting one of the pigs he had raised for meat with a .22. I think I was about 7 or 8 at the time. I think it took two shots, because the first one ticked off the hog and it went running around the yard squealing in pain. So I think I am going to stick with my Mosin for hunting wild hogs in the woods.

I am still split on using spray paint on the gun though. I currently am jobless so buying a bunch of stuff to pretty up my rifle isn't very high up on my priorities list. I have a spray can of high temp satin black spray paint laying around. Last year I shot the thing and didn't clean it after shooting some cheapo surplus rounds with corrosive powder. Needless to say it took a lot to get it looking good again. I took some rust removing acid stuff and it cleaned out the barrel just fine, but it also cleaned off some of the bluing too. The barrel isn't rusty, just discolored. I think the acid actually makes the barrel more rust proof actually. (I use it on my cars, rust never seems to come back). I also have a Marlin Model 60 .22 that needs some help. That barrel is really rusted on the outside. Since that one isn't very high on most collector's list I think I'll just spray that one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Phil,

Good luck on the job front. Been there, done that too many times.

·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to spray the Marlin. The barrel had been getting rusty on the outside and there was nothing left for bluing. It actually turned out pretty nice. Before the paint was all the way dry I polished it with a dry paper towel. It shined it right up. My biggest concern since I wasn't able to bake on the paint as per the directions is what will happen when I get cleaning solvent on it. I plan on shooting it a bit first after I get some money for another box of those cheapo value bullets. Hopefully the heat will help cure the paint job. If it appears to be solvent resistant I'll do the same to my single shot break action 20 gauge. There is absolutely no bluing on that thing. The Mosin I am not so sure what I am going to do with that thing yet. It isn't rusty, just discolored.

Phil,

Good luck on the job front. Been there, done that too many times.
Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
First one I shoot was with a 22, it was all I had and she didn't know it wasn't supposed to kill her. But to deliberately hunt one with a 22 no. Bullet placement is everything hunting hogs.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
A re-bluing kit and some 0000 steel wool is all you need. Don't worry about the collectors, most Moison-Nagants aren't worth much on the collectors market, but they make fine hunting rifles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't paint it, it will look terrible. Go the Brownells gunsmithing supplies and by some oxpho-blue and follow the directions. It works well, its easy, and its durable. I doubt the value of the weapon will justify a professional blueing.

Oh and the hog thing, use the M91/30. 22lr works great in a pen, but in a less contolled environment the Hog will be telling hunting tails about you.

·
Level II -Inappropriate
3,158 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts