A couple pictures from our place....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Ohio, May 9, 2006.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Anyhoo, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Heres a couple of pictures I put online so a friend could get a sense of being on our place. Fair warning, these are pretty large files (1 meg+) so if you are on dialup they will be slow to load.

http://members.aol.com/export4/back_lake.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/export4/farm_hives.jpg

Hope you enjoy them (if your browser (IE) let's you "expand" the images (click lower right corner of the picture) it makes them seem even more expansive.

Mike

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Wow!
    Those are beautiful Mike!
    Thanks for posting them.

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Wonderful trees and hills....more pics at the height of summer, please!(especially of the pond....any flowers there then?).

4. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Sure is a peacefull setting you have there.

5. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Mike I'm sure you know you have a beautiful place :) How long have you lived there and how many acres do you have? As for your lake - pond, whatever - that's the one thing we don't have on our place, water. Very, very nice!

6. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

LOVELY !!

Thanks for letting us have a peek!

7. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

In the hive picture there is something in the sky right in the middle of the jet trail.

8. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

HMMMM did you get a spaceship there

9. Mike in Ohio

Hip_Shot_Hanna, we bought our first parcel of land in 2002. We now have a total of 55.5 acres (4 parcels). Purchasing the additional parcels has stretched us some and it has meant not doing some of the things we wanted in the timeframe we wanted but one of the things we've learned is that if there is an adjacent parcel and it "completes" your place, that should take priority. The farm behind us is for sale (42 acres) but it is simply beyond considering trying to buy it. In terms of the geography we consider our place "complete" in that the terrain affords us privacy, enough land to do the things we want and a good mix of woods and open.

That lake is fed by 4 different springs. We have another small lake (about an acre) towards the front of our property and more springs scattered around other parts of the property. Good water sources were one of the considerations for us getting this particular land.

ibcnya and mberryrfd, I think those are just artifacts from when they processed the image (DW likes to shoot 35mm with her Nikon and have them do a CD when she gets the roll developed). On the other hand it might have been an alien invasion and we just didn't notice it.

Jan Doling, I will be uploading some more pics in the not too distant future.

Mike

10. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Great pics. What are the bushes behind the hives, a windbreak or bee food or both?

11. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Nice. Our land is all wooded. Now I'm not complaining ,the woods are mature hardwoods but it would be nice to see a bit more sky.

12. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ohio... you just can't beat this place!

13. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Very nice! It must be just breathtaking in the fall.

14. peri_simmons

peri_simmons Well-Known Member

Was there a house on all that land or did you just buy land? Hope that's not too nosy! We are in the process of trying to find land with a home of some sort in Ohio and not having too much luck right now. Mostly because we're trying to find something in NE Ohio instead of being sensible and looking in Southern Ohio.

15. Mike in Ohio

Ramblin Wreck, those are multiflora rose. I'm whittling down the several acres of them in front of the hives. It's tough work to get rid of multiflora once it has taken hold.

Wildcrofthollow, One of the reasons we love this property is that the terrain gives us so many interesting spots. It's not just that it's open and wooded. Parts of it are flat and parts of it are sloped.

ZealYouthGuy, still waiting for you to come down and visit. Have you got your bees in the hive yet?

BrahmaMama, DW and I find it enchanting and breathtaking pretty much year round.

peri_simmons, there is (was) a small cabin (12x16) on the first parcel. we are currently planning an addition to it (about 16x22). The last parcel we bought has two homesites (Septic,well,levelled spots,drive) on it. The purchase was more of a defensive move as we were worried that someone would buy it (it insets into our other parcels), build a mcmansion and then complain about us farming. We are looking at building two rental homes/cabins. The spot we want for our home (when we eventually build it) is overlooking the back lake.

Where in NE Ohio are you looking? Depending on what you are looking to do, southern Ohio may be a false bargain. We are building up a farm and with our location we are reasonably close to a number of good markets (akron/canton, Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh). We are real conscious of what energy costs will do to long distance transportation of food. Feel free to pick my brain about different areas and land.

Edited to add: Oops, peri_simmons, I didn't completely answer your question. One of the parcels we bought has 3 barns on it. We were just about to build a barn of our own when it became available. Wasn't all that much more than building a new barn the way we planned.

L8r

Mike

16. Gresford

Gresford Well-Known Member

Mike, are you on or off grid? If you are off grid what methods (i.e., solar, wind, hydro, generator) do you use for power?

BTW, your parcel of land is beautiful. :goodjob:

17. Mike in Ohio

Gresford, we are kind of both <G>. We have electric to the barns (a 100 amp circuit and a 200 amp circuit) because we have to run equipment like a nut huller, a cracker, etc. We are thinking about turning the newest pole barn (insulated 30x50) into a "commercial kitchen" for processing our honey, nut and other production.

We own the oil and gas rights and there is a gas collection pipeline through the property. At some point (When we need it) we will work out a lease to get free gas. I'm not as concerned about royalties because I don't think production would be that high.

The drop from the spillway on the dam on the back lake is about 20 feet+. At some point we would like to put in a microturbine.

With one of the higher hills in the county on our property we can put in wind turbines if we choose to. With technology improving and prices dropping we won't move on this till we really need it.

Then there is solar. Similar situation to wind power.

For a couple years we made do with candles in the cabin for light and a small propane heater. DW convinced me to string a few (100 foot) extension cords together to reach the cabin. Now we use a flourescent light and sometimes an incandescent table lamp. It's nice to make a small pot of coffee or cook something on the hot plate without having to build a fire out back in the firepit. Most of our cooking at the farm is still done over the campfire.

At some point (when we build the rental cabins) I will trench and lay proper electric to the cabin from the barn.

To be honest, we don't feel a compulsion to be totally off grid. Our goal is to have the option of going either way. One thing we have learned is that when you live in a rural area you may end up off-grid temporarily (which may stretch to an uncomfortable period of time) due to weather, etc.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, We also own a home in the Cleveland area (it's an in-holding in the metro parks). It does have a well and septic but is otherwise a "normal" house (Well, a lot of folks probably don't consider us normal with an orchard in the front yard, bee hives all over, etc.)

I guess I'm one of those people who believe that everyone needs to find their own way as they seek a homesteading/farming lifestyle. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single "correct" way.

Mike

18. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Great pic's, will be an insperation for those that haven't made it yet!

19. Mike in Ohio

20. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Nuts and honey! What a great combination. Last Christmas I altered a recipe that called for pecans by using black walnuts instead. My siblings and the older (than us anyway) folks really loved the change. The younger gang had never tasted black walnuts, but they seemed to like them too. Good luck on your homestead effort, and thanks for sharing the pictures and stories.