A couple pictures (bull calf, Jersey heifer)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Apr 30, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well my mother took a few pictures today, actually I needed one so I can register this bull calf, whether he gets sold to someone for breeding, or is beefed, I might show him late July. Here is the picture of him, he is 7 days old.

[​IMG]

Straight legs, actually can see some rib on him, as far as the "dairy ribbyness", and he is only 7 days.

Below is the picture of the Jersey heifer "Blitzen". Her sire is Legion. She was supposed to be shown last year at the fair, but ended up with ring worm, odd time of the year too, dead of summer. She is about 50" tall, little stretched out in the pic, but her topline is straight from head to toe.

[​IMG]

Hope your looking there andy..

Jeff

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

THANKS!!! Great pictures, the heifer looks nice and the bucket calf looks like it's doing good. I don't have cattle anymore but I still love them my family has had livestock, farmed, or ranched as far back as I can trace. I used to do bucket calves and had a herd of Registered Texas Longhorn. Keep the pictures coming. :cowboy:

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Pretty animals!!!

Didn't realize dairy's supposed to be "ribby" Not to worry then, when I see some rib on my cow...

Wish I could figure out how to load pictures. That little icon up there just doesn't work for me!

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Those are great photos!

That bull calf sure is a stocky little guy.

Lynda

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    Those are nice animals. What is the Jerseys age? She appears to be a bit heavy for show shape, but well grown. Legion can really sire some nice ones, of course ours were bulls. How soon till your first show?? We went to Wi spring show with fairly good results considering 248 hd of brown cows showed up. Our "unknown" heifer purchased by default was rsrv JR Champ of JR show.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

That Jersey will be 2yrs in November, I beleive late November. So she is 17 months, due to Signature on October 2nd. My first show is July 26th, there was the NYS spring show, I was going to bring her, however 1 animal isn't fair, next year though I will probably go if it isn't cold.

Good to hear you did well out there at that show, someday ill show there, when they look ready for that show.

Wilderness, we bottle feed him, and I will likely bottle feed all of them, perhaps get my mother to :).

Jeff

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Nice pics. Beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing them with us.

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Good Looking cattle. Your Jersey shows some front end strength and is carrying good flesh in rear flank for dairy stock. Those factors produce a more durable cow which will yield more years of service.

9. Philip

Philip Philip

The girl looks healthy, but if you are going to get her in calf soon I'd be trying to slim her down a bit. OK for show, not so good for calving, particularly if shes to a larger beef breed or a Freisian

10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Those are some nice animals. The little bull is a dandy; the picture of health.

I like the cow, too---you say she is l7 mos now and due in Oct? Makes her 23 months at calving?

I'm a bit prejudiced; If I see a group of good cattle I will pick out the Jerseys to admire first even though I have no use now for a milk cow. I just liket them; they have always been my favorites.

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The Jersey is due to a Jersey in October. I taped her today, she weighs 707lbs. During the summer she will trim down, actually they all will. So their condition now is ideal going into summer. Last spring they were fairly stout, and they did trim down through the summer.

That bull calf I taped too, he weighs 141lbs, he has gained a little over 3lbs a day since calving.

Jeff