Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a couple of questions.

The first is, I was lifting a just processed jar of pears
out of the canner, and it slid out of the lifter back into
the water sideways. Could the jar still be good after
this?

Also, I would like to know how long ready to process jars
can sit before putting in the canner for processing.

Thanks so much!

T

·
0 Posts
The faller-over jar is just fine. As long as his lid did not pop off, then he is golden!

I am not sure I understand the second question, so if I am far off, feel free to try again! :)

Are you referring to The length of time between sterilizing the jars, and getting them filled with their canning item?
I leave mine in the sterilizing water until I am ready to set one down & fill it, and put it back in the hot water. But I have one square foot of counter.
My Mother used to wash and sterilized 100 jars at a time, leaving them mouth down on newspaper, until she was ready to fill her jars. Hers got cold, even. (she rarely ever had any not seal. And any that didn't seal, we're just eaten quickly.) I don't ever recall her losing SEALED jars because they got dirty in the inside.

Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Traci!

On the second question, I mean after the jars are
filled and the lids and rings are on.

How long can they sit before they are put in the
canner? Does this make more sense?

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Thanks Traci!

On the second question, I mean after the jars are
filled and the lids and rings are on.

How long can they sit before they are put in the
canner? Does this make more sense?
I usually leave the rings a little loose on the jars and tighten them just before I put them in the canner that way the heat from the contents don't cause them to seal before they are processed. I try not to leave them more than a half hour before they are processed. that's just me tho. I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule for how long

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'll jump in on the last question. If I'm waterbathing - I have the canner/water ready and hot. As I fill a jar I wipe it clean, put the lid on and place it in the canner and repeat until the canner is full. Then I process. If I'm pressure canning, I have the canner hot with the lid on expressing the steam while I'm filling the jars. I fill, wipe clean, screw on the lid on and get the next one ready. Once I have all my jars ready, I put them in the canner and seal it up and wait for it to come up to pressure.

I do not fill my jars/cans unless I'm going to move them directly into the prepped canner but I'm not rushing to get them ready.

Does that help?

·
Registered
562 Posts
If I'm pressure canning, I have the canner hot with the lid on expressing the steam while I'm filling the jars. I fill, wipe clean, screw on the lid on and get the next one ready. Once I have all my jars ready, I put them in the canner and seal it up and wait for it to come up to pressure.
Do you mean that you are venting your pressure canner before you have all of your jars in there? If so, when you remove the lid to put in the jars, you are letting the air back in and you need to start the venting over again. I hope I misunderstood you, because that is important!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's say I'm water bath canning apple sauce.
I heat up the apple sauce on the stove. At the same time, my clean, empty jars are in the water bath canner, in water that is being brought to a boil on the stove. This way, I have hot food going into hot jars, as per Ball Blue Book.
I take one jar out of the water bath canner, dump the water in the jar back into the canner, fill that one jar with apple sauce, put lid and ring on it, then put that one jar back in the canner. Then I fill jar 2, etc...
Once the canner is full, I put the lid on. I don't start counting processing time until the water in the canner comes to a boil.

At no time are filled jars left sitting on the counter.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Do you mean that you are venting your pressure canner before you have all of your jars in there? If so, when you remove the lid to put in the jars, you are letting the air back in and you need to start the venting over again. I hope I misunderstood you, because that is important!
I, too, need to see what the answer is, because as written, it makes no sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts