A couple of potentualy dumb questions....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Caren, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

OK went to Wally World today and bought some seeds (Vegetable). Why are some of the seeds 10 cents a pack and some are over a dollar? Do some grow better than others. I bought some carrot seeds for 10 cents.

Also when do you plant sunflowers? Do you start them inside first or just do it all out side from the beginning?

Caren

Thanks

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I use both price ranges of seeds, just pick what you can use. You'll develope favorites as you go.
    You can start sunflowers either inside ahead of time or outside after last frost. Beware they will grow very tall inside so don't start thrm too soon. An7y more than 3 weeks ahead might be difficult.
    Most people who start seeds indoors have some shop lights to grow the starts with. Besure to use a good seed starting mix if you start them ahead of time to prevent damping off problems. And put holes in any pot for drainage.

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I dont know exactly why you can get some of the "exact"(think Contender beans and some varieties of cucumber) beans for 10cts or well over a dollar. I do know that this year I have had tremendous success with 5 for a dollar seeds from TSC. I do know that oftentimes the higher priced seeds are rare or new or hybrid varieties and you will only find them at the higher prices. I started my sunflowers about three weeks ago directly into the soil outside. I am in zone 8 though. That info will prob affect your decision the most.

4. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I forgot to tell everyone I'm in Michigan.

Thanks for the quick answers!

Caren

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

10 cent seeds are from last year or earlier.

germination might be around 75% instead of 90%

a great deal any way you look at it.

sunflowers - i plant them directly where i want them in the garden. no inside shennanigans at all.

6. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I've bought several varieties over the years in both price ranges and have had no germination problems with any of them, even the 10 cent ones.
    I also direct sow my sunflower seeds. Going to do that in the next day or two. They'll be up in no time. :clap: Yippee!

Have fun!