a couple of goat questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by happyacres, Apr 18, 2005.

1. happyacres

happyacres New Member

I have a couple of goat questions for you all. 1. I have the opportunity to get a doe kid from my neighbor. He thinks she is inbred so therefore will be of no good to anyone. Her mother and her father had the same dad but different moms. She seems to be healthy and was born ok. My question is, will she be alright to keep? I only have 5 does and a buck and mostly for hobby and milk? 2. I have a nubian doe which I was given last year for helping some friends out during some hard times. It was really hot when I got her and she panted (tounge hanging out and all) when it was really hot. I thought after I got her fed up and all, she pretty much quit. Didn't notice it any more. Well yesterday, it was 80 degrees and she was panting again.. She had twin kids a couple of weeks ago and seems perfectly fine otherwise, is this a common thing with nubians or does she have something wrong? Thanks, Marilyn

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I can't help you with your panting doe -- sounds like she's heat intolerant, like me! But surprising in a Nubian. Maybe she has a deficiency, or a thyroid problem, but I've no idea what else it might be.

The 'inbred' doe kid should be fine. This kind of breeding is done all the time (with due regard for genetics -- don't use goats with known faults).

Kathleen

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would not worry about the inbred thing if it's a nice looking goat...lot's of people inbreed on purpose. She may well be worthwhile. Ask some questions of the breeder about any faults his herd has that he is afraid the inbreeding may cause to show up. I have used inbreeding in the past without problems but don't make a habit of it.

Nubians are a HEAT TOLERANT breed, they should do well in the heat above and beyond the Swiss breeds. Is she overweight? Is she wormy? There are lung worms that occur in animals. Does she have shade? Is she black-coated? Just some thoughts.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my black coated nubian doe, pants, I hav had to bring her in the the a/c to cool her off. she is big preggers right now, and here in michigan , we have had some nice days, and she is panting. I spray her off, or wipe her down with a cool rag, and give her gator aid to drink.