A couple of goat questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by 6e, Oct 31, 2005.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We just started in goats last spring and have had really good luck with them, but a few things have popped up and I was wanting to glean some of your wisdom.
    First-Our two Boer does looked really good over the summer, but now their coats are getting rough and dull. The one doe has fur sticking out all over. I know they're probably putting on their winter coats, but other people's does don't look like that. I did try worming them, but that didn't seem to help. They're not too skinny or too fat and seem in good health, I'm just not pleased with the condition of their coat. Any suggestions?

Second-We found a beautiful Boer Billy, fullblood registered. He was bred for lots of muscle and fast weight gain which is what we wanted. When we picked him up I noticed he had just a slight runny nose which no one seemed too concerned about, but when we got him home he had a really runny nose and a cough. The snot is clear and no fever. When I e-mailed the owner she said that he often got runny noses and it wasn't anything. But, that didn't ease my mind any. I would sure hate to lose him and I would hate to think we spent all that money on a goat that has a genetic weakness. Any ideas as to the underlying cause or cures?

Thanks!

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Try a good goat mineral to keep thier coats looking nice. We use Purina.
    If the buck acts fine do not worry about the snotty nose. Just keep a eye on him.

Enjoy-Liz in NY
    Teacup Farm

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Mineral deficiency can cause rough coats, also worms and/or lice will also. Have you wormed them?? Do they have loose minerals??

On the buck and the snotty nose. If it is clear snot and he is eating normally, I would just do as Liz suggested and keep an eye on him. Sometimes this time of year will cause slightly snotty noses and the stress of moving could too. Just watch him close.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

4. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I'm still new to goats, but I do know that different wormers work in different areas. I usually use ivermectin, but then again since I am new to goats, the worms on my land haven't had a chance to build up immunitiy to it. However, when I bought some goats from a lady who had been raising goats for 20 years, ivermectin didn't work on them.

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

If you are already using the minerals as suggested and there coats are still dull you could try some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), a handful in the grain per feed seems to keep mine nice a shiny.

6. daisy05

daisy05 Member

Well #! it is probaly mange and I was on one board and they had two dos withit and someone said to try baby oil!!!! but then said one said not to becuase it colud kill them so DO not know sorry!
    #2 well one of my sisters goat has a runny nose and ours gets that around cold weather then it goes away just keep a eye on him and if it gets and worse I wolud then contact a vet!!
    Samantha

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, sorry, I missed that. :shrug: What did you worm them with?? Some wormers no longer work in some areas.
    As for the minerals. Try a loose mineral. Goats generally cannot get enough of what they need from a block. Loose minerals let them eat as much as they need. A good goat loose mineral is best, but many loose cattle minerals will work if goat is not available. I certainly reccomend trying a loose bagged mineral.
    I second the BOSS suggestion. Its good stuff.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

8. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Tractor Supply will order a good mineral for you called Techmaster Complete, but if you dont have a TSC, then try asking the feed store to order something for you that is high in copper.
    Rachel

9. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

do not feed sheep minerals, or a sheep/goat mineral-not enough copper.

the buck may have allergies, if so, um...is it benadryl? that you can give them? or dimetapp? i don't remember.

try a different wormer-worm bucky, too-the stress from moving will cause the worms to become active.

calf-manna may help condition some, also.

10. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

6e, my goats get lice every year in the fall and what you discribed sounds like it. Simple way to know, separate their hair and look where you see the hair sticking up. (it is sticking up because they are using their mouths to scratch and the spit...well, you know) They are small and long but believe me, you can see them if they are there and moving.

People say Seven Dust works well. I cannot use it because I have chemical problems so I have a hard time getting rid of them each year. I gave them natual flea baths and now they are getting Garlic to see if that works. Seems to be working since they are not scratching as much. I keep forgetting to look.

11. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

With the buckling, I would think that it is nothing to worry about, although I know that a LOt of "problems" can come from moving stress, when we picked up our buckling he was nice fat looking and cute, when we got home he was skin and bones, with a runny noise, just a couple hours with him having water and food the WHOLE way. Now he is doing VERY good, and is VERY happy.