A couple of cow pictures

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well I got around to taking pictures, mainly for my website and for the fair. Here is Red, for those who remember red this was red last October.

[​IMG]

Here is red now, she placed 9th out of 15 at a B&W show.

[​IMG]

Now here is speedy, here is speedy last fall.

[​IMG]

Here is speedy now.

[​IMG]

They have changed a lot. Now between the two, red has does have the greatest potential to become a great cow. She has a nice topline, good frame, F&L are good, udder is tight, good cleft. She has similar charactaristics to Lavender Ruby Redrose. Who was Grand Champion WDE, and is also a rubens. Both of these cows are Rubens. Speedy's fault is depth, and her rump. I did breed her to Talent, hopefully she took, should be a really good match. Red will be bred to Talent as well, and hopefully I will get a red talent heifer. As red matures, and she is bigger, and continues to grow it seems. That udder has tons of potential, who knows where it will take her, as long as she stays healthy.

Enjoy!

Jeff

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

They look like they're ready to go star in a milk commercial.

Lovely cows!

Lynda

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Congrats, they have come a long way. Out of curiosity, why do you have them stood with their front feet on that knoll? I noticed in the second set of pics where they are older, they have their front feel on that knoll.

Carol

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Props them up, tends to put them up to make them look better. What I have setup doesn't work as well as what is used by the "pros" that take pictures for a living. What I need to use is a 100lb tractor weight, up about 6".

Jeff

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

red holstiens? awsome. Very nice looking udders. Good seperation, good support. Id like some pics of our dairy barn while you are milking

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I will get some pictures soon, need to take some to put up at the fair (display for when we go). Here is some pictures of the milk house, atleast partial pictures. First picture is part of the receiving jar, milk pump etc. The second picture is of the sink, over on the well far left is the hot water heater (instant hot water heater, works really nice). The third is the parlor, flat line. The whole idea of this parlor is a place to milk, easy inspection, easy cleaning, etc etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Jeff - Red's a great cow, perhaps pay attention to rear leg side view when mating for next generation. You wouldn't want to use a bull that moves leg any more towards sickle.
    On Speedy, note how side view shows top of tail head is higher than spine ahead of tailhead. You may wish to look at rump angle and avoid bulls with high pins when mating. Beyond that, I would look at Dairy Form, try to breed for more( open )sweep of rib for generations to come.
    Please construe as constructive suggestions. Good cows, but one always strives too improve. Nice clean facilities :)

8. goatwishingstar

goatwishingstar Active Member

Your cows are very pretty. It looks like your taking excellent care of them!

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Ladino Park Talent is who speedy was bred to, and who red will be bred to. The Rubens cross with Talent has proven to be really good. Talent tucks the udders, improves their attachments nicely, and is a BIG rump improver.

Not only that, talent was around 20-25 a unit, he is now 45! His popularity is increasing.

Jeff

10. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

Good-looking Holsteins and nice set up. Did you design it yourself? So many older milkhouses are hard to keep clean.

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Those are great looking cows.

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The parlor I did, milk house mostly, redid the interior and I had them install everything so it wouldn't be in the way.

Jeff

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Id that a sunset bulk tank? the end of it that is in the picture looks just like mine.

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Yes, it is a sunset bulk tank.

Jeff