A couple more ?s from an excited new gardener

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jynxt, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Mornin' folks. My dd started a sweet potato plant in a jar of water....kids just amaze me, I never knew they did that :shrug: Anyway...it has a few plants growing out of the top of the tater about 3 1/2 inches tall now...what do I do with this? If I put it in the garden will it grow new taters? Do I have to cut it up somehow or something?

The other thing is that we have several colonies of ants that have moved into my garden space :flame: Red ones and black ones and some of them are large and hairy and both colors! Will they eat my seeds? How can I kill them without making my garden poisonous? I'm tempted to just leave them alone if they won't hurt anything :help:

All of our beans are sprouted and my kids and dh and I were all outside last night just tickled to bits. I have no idea how many green beans we will get out of 7 rows but I bet all of kids will eat them! Our tomatoes all look wonderful too and now my ds 11 says...."hmm, I bet I might like these tomatoes" that boy has never even wanted to try tomatoes and only eats ketchup, not sauce. This is so much fun ....I think we may be addicted :)

2. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

I let the sweet potato plants get to about 6 inches( just snip them off the tater) before planting. Stick them in the ground about 2" deep,18 inches apart, water well then cover with milk jugs that have the bottom cut out. I leave mine covered for about a week(just to keep them out of the direct sun and incase of late freeze) until there is a forcast for cloudy days. I uncover them at night and keep watered. As the plants grow, mound dirt around them, just like Irish potatos.

3. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for the info twogun!! Wow, what a deal, now we get to plant sweet taters too!

What about the ants though? Will they eat my garden up? How do you kill em?

4. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

5. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!!! Now I at least know what to try. :hobbyhors

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

7 ROWS OF GREEN BEANS!!!!!??!?!?

How long are your rows?

I had one 25ft row last year ( and this year, too) and I had green beans coming out of my ears. I froze a bunch, pickled a bunch, and still had bags and bags to give away to friends and neighbors.

Last fall, a friend gave me her canner and oodles of mason jars. So this year, I will be canning green beans as well.

I am glad that your whole family is taking joy in gardening and watching things grow. It sure is an amazing process that I never get tired of. Just wait until it starts to produce all of those yummy veggies.

If your son really doesn't "like" tomatoes - try starting him out with sliced tomatoes sprinkled with sugar. My grandfather got me started on those when I was little. We used to eat them for dessert. My mother used to make tomato, cheese and bacon openfaced sandwiches for dinner. Just use regular sandwich bread and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread, a slice of tomato and a piece or two of bacon on top. Put under the broiler until the bacon is sizzling and the cheese is melted. We sure did gobble those up!

7. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

Our rows are about 20 feet long and three of the rows are double row plantings! We really love green beans and plan to can bunches. I also am hoping to freeze some in a mixed veggie blend for stew and such. I imagine that we will give lots and lots of green beans away....we have lots of friends who just don't have the space for a garden or the time to deal with one.

This garden has sure been a blessing to our entire family. We are all out there together every single day even if only for a little while. We are enjoying our time together and learning about new things...like bugs and what veggies we may like. We are all even eager to try growing things we have never tasted just to see what they are like.

I'll try to tips on tomatoes for my ds. He is really opening up to new experiences with veggies these days!