a community scam

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I live in a rural area and the volunteer fire department is funded thru an allocation of a portion of the property taxes on the farm collected by the county. From time to time a representative will arrive at the door collecting donations. (He just left) These people contact the fire department and "contract" to solicitate donations and these collectors keep a percentage of the take. I have not been able to determine the actual percentage of the "commision but it is significant. I was told 90 %. If you have such an occurrence in your community you need to inquire as to how much the fire department actually receives. Admittedly I am biased with my opinion of this for it annoys me that the land is taxed for fire department support and I cannot depreciate anything that would be damaged by fire on the land and the only losses I can deduct are the actual expenses incurred with the crop even if it is ready for harvest. I have no problem with paying tax for fire department support on the structures on the farm. Why should I have to pay fire tax on the dirt?

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We get a similar scam, police officers on the phone selling magazines. I think I'd either write a letter to the editor, or since you don't have accurate figures, contact a reporter and ask questions. Once something like this hits the press the dept in question will be pressured to change.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................What a Total Scam this IS!! The facet of this situation that I Don't understand ...IS...Why , doesn't the Fire dept. send it's own members out to solicit funds . There is NO way that they can come out with Less money , given the fact that they are only receiving 1 dollar out of every 10 . Maybe you should showup at the next VFD meeting and ask the Head guy how much money they actually rece'd . Then , ask him for a SET of Audited Financials for the Previous Fiscal Period . After all they receive most , if NOT all of their funding from public sources . Their "books" should be open to anyone who requests to take a look . I have a VFD station just 700 feet due east of my driveway and the Father\Son that run the whole Sheebang are basically , NOT accounbtable To anyone for how they spend the monies . They , work Very hard and put in lots of time , so they do lots of Good , but , they should still display some modicum of public accountability for how they "conduct their business" . ....fordy.. :eek: :)

4. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

My rule is I never give money to people who come to my door or call me on the phone (I'm now on the "don't call" list). I tell the little beggers that I mail checks directly to my charities and never give to solicitors. Ok, I make an exception for the Girl Scout cookie patrol.

5. D

D Well-Known Member

The lady who was our rural fire department's treasurer is serving time in a state detention center for stealing from the RFD. She's been a part of the local community for over 20 years and is married to a local boy. Hate to disillusion ya'll, but welcome to the real world.

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, this goes on in our Fire Department (I just hate it when they stand in the middle of the intersection collecting) and the Highway Patrol is always calling wanting this and that for this reason or that. I hate it and tell them so. I donate only through my church which supports many various charities.

7. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Guess DSW & I are a-way outa line, hunnh.

We send a contribution each year to the Indiana Sheriff's Association,
    and the Indiana State Police Alliance. We also contribute to our local
    Rural Fire Department. And, yeah, we drop a dollar or 3 in the Fireman's
    Boot every time we see them collecting in the street too.

Nope, we don't have a lot of extra money. But to us it's just a little show of appreciation, for the nasty jobs they get to handle.
    Hey, we give our rural postman a little gift at xmas too.
    Yeah, I also tip my waitress, & the barber that cuts my hair, even tho I don't have much anymore. And I've been known to drop a dollar in the jar, for the
    guitar player, down at the barbecue. He always gives us a smile. He plays good tunes.

I appreciate Folks, that do me a service. A dollar or two ain't gonna break me.
    I don't begrudge it. I've waited tables. I've been a guitar player, in a trio.

But, different Folks look at things differently than I do, lotsa times.
    I think a "Man" is known by his generosity, as well as by his "good Name".
    Just me, I guess.

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm with you, Old John. Kick in a buck or two here and there, sometimes more. Contribute when the Fire Dept has it's annual street dance and barbecue.

I don't like shysters, but I do take care of those who take care of me.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

We're lucky as all our firemen live in the neighborhood and they have barbeque dinners, etc, to raise money. Whenever we need help of any kind, they are there for us. It is not unusual for someone to pay for a $5 barbeque dinner with a $20 or $50 and tell them to keep the change. We have a terrific group of firefighters here!

10. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

I am happy to drop a buck or two in the boot at the intersections, or buy a ticket in the firehouse raffle, or whatever.

I WILL NOT contribute to any organization that calls me on the phone soliciting for any organization, way way way to high a percentage of what you give these paid telemarketers goes to the profits of the telemarketing organization and not to the group they are claiming to solicit for. There have been cases of these telemarketers claiming to collect for police or veterans or whoever and keeping all the money for themselves.

If you want to be generous contact the organization directly and ask if they have a fund you can make a donation, policemans benevolance fund or some such.

11. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

90%? Who gave you that number? I've never, ever heard of a fundraising contractor getting such a high percentage. That would be absolutely outrageous to the point of fraud. I would double-check with the FD before getting really mad.

When I was in college I worked for a group that raised money for non-profits and their take was 20%. I know that the Republican party gives a 60% cut of contributions to 'bundlers' and contractors (while the Democrats still won't do any commission-based contracted fundraising). This is the highest percentage I've ever seen given and even that is pushing the limit of reason. 90% is flat-out wrong and dishonest.

-Jack

12. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

That's the way we look at it too. Always willing to gice a little for the folks who give alot.