A cat for the farm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Feb 10, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I was given a stray calico female cat that I took to the farm. I have kept it in the barn closed up since Saturday. I let it outside today and she followed me around the barn, and the house. It sarted raining, and was cold, so I let her back in. I've put a shelf about 5-ft off ground in the tractor shed, with a board leaning to the shelf, for acess. I'm going to put the cat box along with the bowl of food on the shelf, all screwed down. I want the cat working for its keep, catching moles, and gophers. I saw a bobcat venturing towards the house Saturday afternoon. That twice that I have seen that cat in 2-weeks. We also have coyotes, fox, and deer. QUESTION: A cat can go up a tree to get away from dogs, what chances do they have with a bobcat?

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

The bobcats around here don't usually bother the barn cats, except to knock one up now and then.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We lock our 2 barn cats up at night. We have owls and coyotes at night. They are OK during the day as long as they stay in the fenced area. The inside cats go out in the mornings when the sun is up only and come in before dark.

4. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

No chance at all if that bobcat decides to kill it. Ditto with the coyotes, foxes and domestic dogs turned loose in the country by well-meaning folks who don't know any better. If a pack of dogs decide to get a cat, they can chase them down before she can get to a tree. Fact of life that still upsets me. If the cat was not raised to be a barn cat, she'll need some help learning the ropes as it were. Once she's got it down as what to consider dangerous, she'll fare as well as the next cat.
    It is a known fact that outdoor cats' lives are half as long as those kept indoors (about 8-10 years outside versus 15-20 years inside). Those that are dumped in the country by folks thinking someone will take them in are basically sending them to their death within 2-3 years. True for dogs too. :waa:

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I'd recommend seeing if your local rescue group or shelter can put you in touch with a feral cat group. They'd probably be happy to provide you with a spayed or neutered cat or two who are already USED to the hazards of outdoor life.

Cait

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I put the word out that I needed barn cats and those who had surplus, happily dumped their extras at my place (with my permission). I put a pan of food out and other than that, they are on their own.

The best hunters are the ones I can't even see, but for a streak of fur running along the wall. They are also the ones that last the longest. The friendly ones disappear quickly. I don't know if they wander off, are killed or what.

Jena

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

If she stays out of harms way until spring, you will probably have at least 4 more cats. By fall, you will have 8 or 10! I started out with a stray calico (calicos are always females). We've seen 6 generations come and go. I've got the last remaining female spayed now, and one male who I need to find a home for. I've found that toms don't hunt as well. Of course I also have a neighbors cat that was abandoned, and a really rough looking tom who I think is living under the porch. I wish you lived close by. I could load you up with so many cats that they just might gang up on the bobcat!

8. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

A good barn cat should never let you get close enough to be concerned about it.

9. Surveyorwill

Surveyorwill Active Member

I don't know about that, when we picked up our last cat from a shelter/rescue, to replace our sons cat that was killed, they told us we could not have the cat if it was going to be outside at all, and that was after we paid $75 (recoup their cost for neuter/shots/housing). I just wish they had told the cat the same thing, we were able to keep him in for about 2 weeks before he was banging into the windows, trying to trip you at the door. Now he goes out during the day and comes back on his own.

Our other two cats (both males) are great hunters they have brought home moles, birds, lizards, mice, most of which are always still alive, but the best one was a flying squirrel still alive into our bedroom, that was a tough one to catch but I got him cornered in the small cathouse took him out on the porch, let him go, he jumped and glided to the nearest tree and was gone.

good luck with your cat.

10. Stray Cat

Stray Cat Well-Known Member

My cats don't do anything except invite the neighbors cats over for some romance.

I had a dog who would catch moles, mice and anything that moved. She was a Chow/Lab mix if that means anything.

11. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Cats dont like to eat near there litter box, maybe two shelfs one with food and one with cat box. What about water?

12. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Hey, heard we've got cold weather coming. Don't forget to give the cat something like a blanket or throw blanket to snuggle into to stay warm. While you're at it, don't forget to water in your berry bushes and grapevines, mulch and cover with a sheet or blanket to protect from the cold. Judi

13. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Yeah- you don't want just any shelter cat- you want a group that SPECIFICALLY does feral cat rescue- ie, cats that are USED to living outside and wary of humans, that would NOT tame down into good pets. There's a VAST difference between a feral and an outdoor housepet.

Cait

14. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I would certainly keep the cat in at night. Around here coyotes will kill any outside cat. My four cats live in the house with us and we have other measures in the bunny barn and around the chickens etc to get rid of rodents.