Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what does anyone think is a good canning tomato? determinate, red, ripening all within a month, and nice size and flavor? (definetly not a heirloom)

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
canning to make what? salsa? chilli sauce? paste? juice?
processing various ones makes some difference. I only grew viva italia as a processing tomato this year. In the past I've also liked 'Square', pear, and roma.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I like Hungarian Italian Paste but it's an heirloom.
I also like Roma, but again it's an heirloom.
Maybe I'm confused, though. Those are open pollinated, so not hybrids. I don't know if they're heirlooms or not.

I'm curious - why definitely not an heirloom?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
My main tomato crop is Celebrity. I make juice and also some chopped tomatoes for soups during the winter plus they are great for slicing or salads.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Canner, determinate, red, ripening all within a month, nice size, flavor, and not an "heirloom". Jung's Wayahead, first offered in 1921. It's been a commercial variety offered by only one company during all of those years.

I was observing such a plant this evening in a neighbor's plot. A single plant that she's been picking from for the past week. We estimate that there will be at least 25# of fruit when the entirely plant dies within another month.

Martin

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cerosene, I am NO expert on tomatoes. But these are a few varieties that have worked for me and I have consistently planted these each year. Canning tomatoes-This was our dinner conversation tonight. I like tomatoes that produce in an abundance and are not fussy. For canning, I prefer like Nancy, the celebrity. DH canned 3 turns of juice this weekend and said to me, "those tomatoes in the last three rows were nice round, uniform, easy to work up, and easy to pick, what are they? They were the Celebrity. Not much waste on those tomatoes. Easy growers.

I also love Rutgers, and plant several of these. They are nice canners and great fresh eating. For tomato paste, I plant a few Romas. Not the greatest tomato for fresh eating but good, (real meaty)-use these mixed with the celebrity and rutgers as well to make spaghetti sauce, ketchup.

An indeterminate tomato that I really like and plant each year is the Burpee's Big Girl. It's prolific, nice big size slicing tomatoes, not fussy. I use the Big Girls for canning and eating-its all purpose. It does have several seeds. Very tasty.

For my favorite eating tomato, its the Brandywine (heirloom). I also can the Brandywine. Now for me, the Brandywine is fussy: the plants get really big (a good wind storm and they can be blown around and just this evening I noticed some of the branches that are loaded with big green tomatoes, are breaking off.) But, their fussiness and the wait for them (about 90 days) is well worth it to me!!! I love the taste of the Brandywine.

I always plant some determinates and indeterminates as well as hybrids and a couple of heirlooms. I try and mix it up a bit to have a plentiful but tasteful crop. Sometimes it hard to do. I would like to try the Wisconsin 55 next year. Hope your garden is well. Sorry this post is so long! :) Take Care.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Have you ordered the Tomato Grower's catolog? I order all my seeds from them. I would also think that your 'zone'/area would deterimine what grows best for you (something that's not fussy). I also plant several different var. because the weather is never the same from yr. to yr. and I get a better yeild from one var. each yr. I too, love the brandywines and German Johnson. This yr. I planted 6 Florida-- the nice round shape, good taste, easier canner, little to no disease/pest. I will try them again next yr. I have 100 tomato plants--Romas, Brandywine, German Johnson, Oxheart, Grape, and Flordia have all done very well. Celebrity hasn't done anything this yr. but last yr. it was nice and produced well! QB

·
Registered
600 Posts
Others here are right, it will vary some with your area but I agree that celebrity is a fine producer. I also like tropic for it's blight resistance. It looks like I will be adding these paquebot romas to the list too.
KB

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Celebrity here also. I like Jet Star too, but that doesn't meet all your specifications, such as its not determinate, and , it is lower acid :nono: so if you can them be sure to mix with celebrity or other higher acid tomatoes. Jet Star produces nice smooth tomatoes in large quanities. :)

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Today, I'm sealing 99 percent of my heirloom seeds up in a jar, and putting them in the freezer. This year, I planted almost 100 heirloom tomatoes, and only 2 are acceptable.they will stay, plus the Jungs canner, the rutgers, and perhaps roma, for next year. I would think location might be it-but I grew one that was developed 30 miles from here--no go.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Many varieties exist only because they exist and serve no real purpose other than bulk processing. Many of the canning types have been around for many years and will be around for many more as long as there are still some people who appreciate opening up a jar of whole or quartered tomatoes in the middle of winter. I've found another one that would almost fit Ceresone's criteria, Danish Export/Dansk Export. It's been in Denmark since 1912 and originated in the Netherlands before that. Today I can see why it's managed to still be available commercially in Scandinavia. If it's been even half as productive in Denmark, I know that it filled a great many jars there in the past 95 years. Round red fruit, great flavor, just over 2", and tons of them per plant. Counted 15 on one truss! Right now, that's going to be one which I try canning as whole tomatoes this year.

Martin

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
In my past tomato growing days where we 'trialed' the bunch of different tomatoes to try the ones suited for this climate a few have remained pretty reliable. Celebrity and Starfire are two I can usually count on for quality fruit, flavour, good all around tomato, and fair abundance. Not necessarily 'exceptional' for slicing or salads, but quite accpetable for that and processing.
Roma is a pretty good standard for paste type, and this year it's back to viva italia because it seems to do well up here. zone 3 can be a tough customer for anything longer than a 75 day tomato. Some of the early ones I tried for just getting them early, were crap. They are touted here from the markets such as Manitoba, siberia and only because they ARE early. I'd rather wait 10 more days to ripening and have something more decent for flavour and uniformity.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i think lots of folks have differing results with the same tomatos and some folks may just have a taste for different elements of the flavor. the elements i don't like are washed out, bland flavor and a "green" flavor. i like tangy, i like sweet...i like a blend of both tangy and sweet.

the romas that i grew three or four years ago are still volunteering and always seem to be the healthiest plants i have. they have a good, balanced flavor and are very fleshy. i like fleshy tomatos for canning.

the sweet 100's that have been returning as volunteers (not supposed to happen from what i read here recently), are not bad. they are not as sweet as i would like a cherry/grape/salad tomato to be, but they are acceptible. i just wish they would not grow to 10 ft.+. i grew a cherry tomato about 5 years ago and i wish i had paid attention to what it was. it was smaller than the sweet 100's and much sweeter.

last year's brandywine crop was a disaster. all of my tomatos were terrible last year due to blossum end rot. maybe that was not a good time to judge them, but even the few that grew ok did not impress me. i had celebrity last year as well, but they didn't produce enough to judge. i had them in the past, but i really cannot remember them.

i grew a yellow tomato one year that was the bomb. i don't think it was the amish yellow i am growing this year, but these were productive and had a slightly sweet, yet balanced taste.

i have rutgers, roma (f something or other) wis 55, abe lincoln, amish yellow and jung wayahead in addition to my sweet 100's and roma volunteers. i think i found a volunteer brandywine with fruit hiding under a volunteer patty pan squash next to my compost pile. i hope to get another chance at tasting the brandywine...i just hope it is better than last year. the rest are just now ripening. i should have wayaheads and rutgers in about 2 or 3 days. i have had two sweet 100's to wet my appetite, lol.

i have tried many others. i have always taken what was available at planting time. earlygirl...ehhh, betterboy....ehhh, bigboy...a little better than ehhh. my dad was always big on beefsteak. i seem to remember them to be good, but it has been over a decade since i have seen them locally.

i am now into starting my own plants, so i now get to enjoy planting whatever i wish. that is as rewarding as the taste itself.

i guess i should bring this back around to canning. my mom always likes to can rutgers and celebrity...or whatever is around. i tried to give her romas one year, lol. i think she prefers the juicy tomatos. that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...to avoid a fleshy tomato and opt for a juicy one, just to turn around and squish the innerds out of it so it can be canned. my romas are not quite as tangy as she would like i suppose, but i do think they have good flavor. i prefer to can the romas myself.

·
Retired US Navy
111 Posts
ceresone said:
So, what does anyone think is a good canning tomato? determinate, red, ripening all within a month, and nice size and flavor? (definetly not a heirloom)
Roma Tomatoes are the very best for canning,...they have less water in them than any other,....and that is the only reason.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Anyone familiar with Heinz roma? I planted close to 50 this year and they don't seem to have the "shape" of a roma tomato. I sure hope they are romas.......

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Most all the varieties mentioned are good but Rutgers have stood the test of time.I have never got a bad crop with Rutgers or Marglobes.My Rutgers vines are loaded right now.Sorry,sorry,sorry,there are just enough for me.LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts