Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using the water bath method and pressure canning method for some of our cannings always using Ball or Mason jars. Last summer my aunt gave us a bunch of cayenne peppers and told us how she cans them which was much simpler and so far hasn't killed us.

She told us to just pack the peppers real tight in clean canning jars and then just simply heat up apple venigar till boiling hot and fill the jars. Place the lids on tight and just let them sit till cool and store.

It worked and we have been enjoying some really good peppers.

So my question is, no harder then her method was, can we use throw away jars such as the store bought pacante sauce, other picled products or jelly comes in? Used mayonnaise jars? Would they work for this type of canning?

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Well, that will seal the jars, but it isn't recommended as safe. It is how we used to do jelly too. I would heat the peppers up until hot too. The vinegar probably helps kill the germs, but I wouldn't depend on it.

I just stick with approved methods because I would feel really bad if someone got sick from something I canned without following recommended methods.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I assume they're still sterilized, though, right?
A lot of people can by just putting in the hot whatever-you're-canning into the sterilized jars, putting on the lids/rings and flipping the whole thing over til they seal.

Personally, I've never thought the 15 minutes in the water bath that big a deal and just do it that way to make sure I don't have any that won't seal.
I wouldn't can without sterilizing though. Way too much work to want to risk my entire batch. (Besides, i just sterilize by putting them through the hot dishwasher)

So far as non-canning jars, you're not supposed to use them but I know a lot of people who do. You still want new lids, though, of course or you won't be able to get as good of a seal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We use that method on anything that is pickled and you want to be crisp because heating it will make it soft. If it is pickled it is preserved and if there is enough bacteria in it to hurt you it will work in the jar and come unsealed and have a sour odor to it.
Safe for pickleing not for others.

·
Registered
845 Posts
any thing pickled we always try and use our odd jars like jelly, spaghetti sauce jars they will reseal. never understood why you would need to water bath jelly or jams if you can it while its boiling. the water bath is actually cooler than the jelly, jam because any time you cook sugar it boils hotter than water does. the water bath would be cooling it instead of making it hotter.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any thing pickled we always try and use our odd jars like jelly, spaghetti sauce jars they will reseal.

That would be great if I can save those jars and reuse them at least once. Seems we're always throwing a perfectly good jar away. This morning we emptied two jars of picante sauce and it just seemed a waste to not try and find a good use for them.

I have a bad habit of saving throw away containers. I always tell people that we don't have tupperware, we have butterware! The other day I emptied a small jar of chicken boulion cubes and thought the little jar would be great for storing seeds in.

My wife ain't too happy with me saving so many throw away containers. Can't figure out why I have to be such a horder!:)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Ball Blue Book; Pickled Peppers:

"Process half-pints and pints 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner."

Martin

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
No, no, no!!!

This is what is referred to as the "open kettle method". Please don't do this. Granted, much canning was done in years past this way -- and not EVERYONE died of botulism poisoning.... but some did. Do you want to risk your family, loved ones, or visitors to your home for the sake of TEN MINUTES processing time in a boiling water bath?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
With that level of acidity (100% vinegar, assuming it's store-bought and not homemade) I would do it, oldcountryboy, and I'm a stickler for safety in canning. Now, if you started adding spices or cutting the vinegar with water or something else, you would definitely want to water bath. I will tell you that if you chose to water bath per instructions for 10 minutes, there wouldn't really be a difference in the quality of your product, but you would all but guarantee quality and safety. I don't veer off canning recipes too much, but it's mostly because I don't want to waste my time and product if I don't get a good result.

BTW, botulism grows in a non-acidic environment. It's the least of your potential problems with 100% vinegar covering your stuff (again assuming it is--or is as acidic as--store-bought vinegar).

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would process as recommended.

I too used to try to re-use those commercial jars. DON'T. Commercial jars are flimsy. They break easily and really do not seal correctly even if used with a standard canning jar ring and lid. It would be a far better idea to check out the thrift stores or Freecycle for old canning jars. Or best idea, just bite the bullet and buy NEW ones a few at a time. If you take care of your jars (don't use metal utensils in them it leaves scratches that weaken the jar wall) they will last a LONG time and save you LOTS of money in the long run.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
old mayo jars that use reg or wide mouth size are good b/c they were made heavier but new ones are no good b/c they are too light and break.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Weigh a Mayo pint and weigh a Golden Harvest pint. Then figure out how long you've been snookered into throwing away perfectly good canning jars.

Martin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
No, no, no!!!

This is what is referred to as the "open kettle method". Please don't do this. Granted, much canning was done in years past this way -- and not EVERYONE died of botulism poisoning.... but some did. Do you want to risk your family, loved ones, or visitors to your home for the sake of TEN MINUTES processing time in a boiling water bath?
they are packed in vinegar.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
they are packed in vinegar.
Exactly, not to mention that there's way more time than the ten minutes of processing involved in hauling out the canner, bringing that much water to a boil, going through it all, cleaning up, and putting everything away.

That's how I make my peppersauce, and I bottle it in the tapered bottles that hot suace come in, which have a plastic cap and don't even actually seal at least not like a canning lid. Just rinse off the peppers, onions, and whatnot, put 'em in the bottle, and pour boiling vinegar over them.

I've become somewhat skeptical of the everchanging, so-called "rules of safe canning", and although I've never canned with anything but regular canning jars and lids, I've had lots of stuff given to me that was canned in mayonnaise jars, salsa jars, or what have you, and with the origional lids, some of it high-acid, and some....not so much.
Thus far, the "If it's stinky and looks weird, don't eat it." rule of thumb has kept me in one piece.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
As long as you and your family are the only ones eating it it's all on you. I'm sure it works but as the disclaimer says,"your results may vary". Most can not only to be frugal but also for highest quality.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jars used for mayo, jam, ec. are NOT heat tempered. They can break or even explode.

I use them for jam, relish or pickles that I have already cooked. (open kettle) but not for anything processed.

tinda

·
Registered
214 Posts
FYI: "sterilizing" cannot be accomplished in the dishwasher or in a hot water bath canner. They only sanitize or disinfect, ie: kill the least resistant bacteria. Only pressure canning can actually sterize, that is kill all bacterial forms.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
How do they get mayo to seal up and be ok to eat if the jars they use are not able to be heated?
That's possibly an anomaly only in a small part of Canada. They can be used everywhere else with no problem!

Martin

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,248 Posts
South Texas - Mayo jars break even in hot water bath processing.

Throw them out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts