Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know..sounds so stupid. but is it just sort of like a pizza, but folded? sorry...this must sound silly. I said I'd make it..have pizza dough rising. uh..have no clue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well I will tell you what I do for MY calazone. You can bake them, with everything you like outside the pizza you put inside -- but the sauce.

However, I like them like this... you deep fat fry them. Just put the cheese and toppings inside and FRY the dough, and presto, the best drn thing I have ever tasted. I put the sauce on top of boith types. :)

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Yep...you just roll out a round of dough, put toppings on one half of it (it's easy to put too much on and have it seep out during baking), fold it over and seal, and bake it. It like to brush the outside with a bit of salted olive oil before baking. I like to make them without sauce and then have individual serving bowls for dipping sauce.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
Yep, I also serve my sauce on the side but I don't fry mine but bake them in the oven too. Here they are also called Stromboli. I also have bread dough & have been going to make them up. Must be we are all in the same mood.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Whenever I cook these I make up some extras and put them in the freezer after they finish cooking. Then whenever we want a quick meal we microwave them. I call them my homemade hot pockets when I use non-calzone-ish fillings.

Be careful if you are using pepperoni or sausage, they can give off a good bit of grease when they cook, and biting into it when it is hot hurts!

Kayleigh

·
Registered
213 Posts
Around here, we have calzones and strombolis. Calzones have ricotta inside (along with mozzarella and ham, traditionally), whereas a stromboli does not have ricotta, just mozzarella and other stuff (pepperoni, sausage, spinach, etc.).

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Around here, we have calzones and strombolis. Calzones have ricotta inside (along with mozzarella and ham, traditionally), whereas a stromboli does not have ricotta, just mozzarella and other stuff (pepperoni, sausage, spinach, etc.).
That's what it was like where I grew up, too. There was this one pizza place that served the BEST stromboli that I think about to this day... I don't even want to make it myself because there is no way it could live up to the memory. *drool*

Funny story...my freshman year roommate was from Long Island, NY, and was practically the embodiment of all things people hate about New Yorkers. When I told her about this stromboli, she didn't believe me. I think she thought I was lying or something! She said (in her thick ny accent) "I worked in a New York City deli for 2 years. If *I* haven't heard of it, it doesn't exist"

She was't my roommate for long....

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh..they were DELISH! I was trying to hold off til the Steeler game, but we were starved and the dough was ready. I also LOVE a mix of mozzarella, a bit of monteray jack, and spinach. (mushrooms if I have them, today I didn't) hub loves the conventional mozzarella, parm, romano, and pepperoni. I baked them, and there are leftovers for tomorrow. :) I don't dip mine in sauce (he did)...but do put extra virgin olive oil in the mix. sooooooooooooooooo good!

that's what I didn't understand...what's a calzone and what's a stromboli! now I know. usually I just make pizza. somehow it's the same, yet felt like something a little different. :)

·
El Paso
1,969 Posts
That's what it was like where I grew up, too. There was this one pizza place that served the BEST stromboli that I think about to this day... I don't even want to make it myself because there is no way it could live up to the memory. *drool*

Funny story...my freshman year roommate was from Long Island, NY, and was practically the embodiment of all things people hate about New Yorkers. When I told her about this stromboli, she didn't believe me. I think she thought I was lying or something! She said (in her thick ny accent) "I worked in a New York City deli for 2 years. If *I* haven't heard of it, it doesn't exist"

She was't my roommate for long....
Being a native Long Islander, I would have told her to step out of the deli and head to the local pizza place, and she would have found some. Sheesh! I detest people like that.

Nikki

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep, I also serve my sauce on the side but I don't fry mine but bake them in the oven too. Here they are also called Stromboli. I also have bread dough & have been going to make them up. Must be we are all in the same mood.

What?????? for the last 30 yrs., I've been under the delusion that a Stromboli was a hot pastromi sandwich with provilone cheese & pizza sauce.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I love Calzones!! They are my easy meal if nothing is thawed out, and we have them at least once a month, usually every two weeks. (I do two week menu rotation).

I do have different dough recipies for pizza as opposed to Calzones, but I guess I could mix them up with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts