A/c unit not cooling right

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I have a window unit that is 220v and is about 3 months old. It was doing just great until this last bout of hot and humid weather. Cools real well until the afternoon then it blows warm air. I hosed down the outside radiator part, didn't see a lot of dirt, but cleaned it real well. Cleaned the filter, it wasn't very dirty. Didn't help. I can shut it down for at least an hour and it will blow cold, but not for very long. If I leave it off long enough it will start cooling but usually very late in the day. Can't remember exact btu but I think was around 23k. We are looking at 3 more very hot months before it hopefully cools down in october. What to do?

2. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Sounds like the evaporator might be freezing up, which is usually a sign of a freon leak. Open the thing up when it's running but not working. If the inside coil (the evaporator) looks like an ice cube, that's your problem. Personally, I'd return the unit regardless.

Pete

3. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Three months old? Take it back.

4. Cyngbaeld

No, it isn't iced up at all that I can see.

It is a long drive to return the thing, and I absolutely must have a/c, so was hoping there was something to be done.

How do you check for freon leaks/?

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you're trying to cool too much area for the capability of the unit. I used to have this problem when I lived in a mobile. I had two window units going and couldn't keep it cool and they would kick out during the hottest part of the day no matter what. The only thing to do is to keep it running all day and all night (so it doesn't have to overcome the build up of heat) and to cut down the amount of space being cooled (shut doors) or hang tarps or blankets or plastic drop cloths of something. Also covering the windows with bath towels or aluminum foil or some other insulating material should help, as well.

Here at Hollyhock Cottage I occasionally notice the same sort of problem when the sun reflects off the house next door and onto the AC unit late in the day -- only seems to last a short time until the sun moves.

Good luck!

MaryNY

6. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

Call the place where you bought it and see if they can send out a service tech. to check it out for you. It should be under warranty. You wont be able to check for a freon leak. Window units have sealed systems that are usually guaranteed for 5 yrs. Check your warranty. Be careful what you do to the unit, you might void the warranty. You might try putting some sort of cover over the outside part of the unit to shade it from the sun. DON'T cover the outside coils up or you'll just create more of a problem. You just need some kind of awning or something to shade them from the sun. Other than that, your unit may just be too small for the area you're trying to cool.
    Good luck.

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I had that problem with an 18k unit last year. It turned out that is was clogged with cottonwood fluff & had to be removed from the window & power washed from the inside of the coil towards the outside to remove it. trying to wash it with a hose from the outside just didnt work. If you do this, let it dry throughly before you plug it back in. You can take it to a car wash if you don't have access to a power washer. The front & back coils both need to be washed from the inside of the unit towards the outside to be effective. It's worth a try before you call a repairman.

8. Cyngbaeld

Can't imagine a repairman coming out this far! I have to hire somebody to take it out and put it back. Will try the shade if I can figure out how to do it.
    Thanks

9. justmyluk

justmyluk Well-Known Member

You say it is running on 220? Then you must have a double breaker at the breaker box. Sometimes these breakers can trip only half the breaker and not the whole thing (looks like the breaker has NOT been tripped). This will allow your fan to run but not your compressor. Turn the unit OFF and then go out to the breaker box and flip the breaker OFF and then back ON again. Wait a few minuets (about 5) and then turn the unit back on and see if this corrects your problem. Also, was the 220 outlet installed by a qualified electrician? If they didn't use a big enough wire or if you have it running off a drop cord, you will have the same problem. The compressor can't pull enough current to kick on if the wire is too small.

10. Cyngbaeld

Problem solved!!!! Feel silly tho. Thought I'd try vacuuming the coils and discovered the thermostat probe had got knocked loose and was hanging below the coils. Put it back and INSTANT COLD!!!! YIPEEEE!!! What a relief. But maybe this will help somebody else. I took the whole face panel off to vacuum or wouldn't have seen what happened. I had just opened the front panel at first to wash the filter.

Thanks again!

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

You don't have anyone that can help you get it in & out of the window? I wish I lived closer! I'd be willing to bet that your problem is that the unit is dirty.If it puts out cold air for a while when its fairly cool & then starts putting out warmer air as the day gets hotter...that's a sure sign of dirty coils. A freon leak would show up as barely cool air all of the time & a freeze-up when its cooler...at night. A compressor problem would be shown as cool air for a few minutes followed by nearly warm air for 20min or so, followed by another period of cool air. If it's only 3 months old it should be under waranty. Call for help!

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Been hittin' Da booze , haven't Ya :nono: ??? Listening ta Elvis and dancin round tha living room wiff no shoes !! :p fordy... :)

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! :) I always remove the front panel when I clean the filter so I can wash it too! Good on Ya! It's been way to hot here to have the A/C on the blink.

14. Cyngbaeld

No, Fordy, no booze! LOL It is possible an errant young bird hit the thing a time or three tho. Sometimes they get loose and lead me a merry chase thru the house.

Bgak47, thanks! I have a neighbor who hires out, but he is super busy right now. Don't have anybody else. The a/c has a drop down panel to access the filter, but the probe was behind that. Funny how something so small can cause so much trouble, ain't it?

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Real glad it worked out! I bought used window A/Cs for years & usually had trouble with them just when it was the hottest day of the year. I finally have a new 23k unit for the living room/kitchen/dining/family room area & a 1yr old 10k unit in my bedroom, where I sleep during the day. Its nice to be cool when its 100deg out!