Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paquebot, Martin Longseth, who posted here for a long time and is now on the tomato forum, is not doing well. Got word he is in pain and expecting surgery.

And then, I am told I have blood cancer and no one seems excited about it. I am supposed to get a port and then chemo---but the surgeon who is to do the port won't even see me until next week, and that only for a "consult" . What the hell is there to talk about? I need the port. Not the faintest idea when and if I will actually be treated. Five doctors over two years, and it took a Med tech to detect the abnormal blood cells. One fellow told me "Not your heart---if it was, you'd be dead. He was right. Another told me "only two things make you short of breath---heart or lungs" Another said "It is just age related" Still another said "you don't have anything I can treat you for". Just proves that some doctors can be clueless just as can common laborer.s. :"You're short of iron, take these iron pills" and I think I have a heart attack. Then I find OLD FOLK often cannot tolerate iron supplements, so I am eating liver, braunschweiger, Maltomeal like candy.

In the meantime, I ride something everywhere---even to go to the shop. Either the wife's riding mower without a deck or my ATV. Don't even haul out the garbage without mechanical assistance. Geese, bees, cat, garden, work in the shop---all going very slowly. If they will just TELL me whether or not this condition is terminal I'd know what to do.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm so very sorry. I have no words except to say I will pray. (can you get another doc who will treat you faster? - I'd be a wreck, camping on their doorstep every morning when they came in)

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,925 Posts
So sorry. A bunch of our friends have ports. These guys all have major issues with ports. I am not sure why though. They wont stay in, or they get infected frequently. during your consult, I would ask a lot of questions about how long he thinks a port can stay in place and be used.

Our neighbor needs iron. he can not take iron pills though. We were trying to see if he could accept iron dissolved in his water like you do with silver colloidal. But now he goes in twice a month for an iron IV. I can not see how a big dose of iron every 2 weeks is any better, than a daily bit of iron.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all. I am 90 and have had the best of lives---I am not afraid, though a bit reluctant.
Vegetable iron is harder to absorb than iron from meat---Maltomeal ia heavily fortified with iron but one needs to have vitamin C to increase its uptake. On the port---Not a worry. I've seen and known a number of people with ports---they can be managed, even long term.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Ox, I can understand the frustration with healthcare today. With all the miracles, they don't seem to be very good at diagnosing and treating. I can tell from your post you have been doing your own research which we all need to do. Give it your best like you always do.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
A couple points Macro--

No food is a good enough source of iron if you're deficient....More importantly, you only get Fe deficient if you bleed. Fe Deficiency should NEVER be treated without a thorough investigation of WHY you are deficient. Have they done that? (pan endoscopy, renal tests etc?)

At your age, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is the most common "blood cancer."-- actually quite common, and generally benign. Biggest problem is if your WBC goes so high your blood sludges & clots (strokes & such), gets so heavy your old heart has trouble pushing the blood around (CHF), the bone marrow gets over-crowded and you get anemic.(not Fe deficiency). ...Occasionally the pt will undergo a blastic transformation (the chronic form turns acute) That can be trouble and needs specific chemo- treatment.

Putting in a port is technically pretty easy, but difficult to maintain. You'll have a permanent hole in the skin for germs to enter by. It can clot and need to be replaced. It can cause clots.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
A couple points Macro--

No food is a good enough source of iron if you're deficient....More importantly, you only get Fe deficient if you bleed. Fe Deficiency should NEVER be treated without a thorough investigation of WHY you are deficient. Have they done that? (pan endoscopy, renal tests etc?)

At your age, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is the most common "blood cancer."-- actually quite common, and generally benign. Biggest problem is if your WBC goes so high your blood sludges & clots (strokes & such), gets so heavy your old heart has trouble pushing the blood around (CHF), the bone marrow gets over-crowded and you get anemic.(not Fe deficiency). ...Occasionally the pt will undergo a blastic transformation (the chronic form turns acute) That can be trouble and needs specific chemo- treatment.

Putting in a port is technically pretty easy, but difficult to maintain. You'll have a permanent hole in the skin for germs to enter by. It can clot and need to be replaced. It can cause clots.
My ex wife had chronic.
She had one of the best doctors in the USA in Memphis.
He did clinical trials and much more.
She was on a one quarter dosage for the chronic and was not a problem for blood cell counts.
We split up and it turned acute and she passed three years later.
But she was chronic for a long time.

·
Registered
21,818 Posts
Sorry you are ill and getting the runaround. Sadly this is largely a result of Obamacare and I hear a lot of people with the same problem. The more government intrusion into anything means it will be less efficient.

Reactions: doc-

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
No, it's not a result of "Obamacare". If you're a certain age (or even before, sometimes) it's been going on for YEARS. Fifteen years ago my son-in-law's father was diagnosed with renal cancer by his doctor and had to WAIT 6 months to see a renal doc to confirm and plan treatment. Renal doc said when he FINALLY saw him that it was too far advanced (gee, wonder why?) and that he couldn't do anything.

Seen MANY other instances. So, don't blame a recent politician for something that has been going on for YEARS'

Mon

·
Registered
21,818 Posts
No, it's not a result of "Obamacare". If you're a certain age (or even before, sometimes) it's been going on for YEARS. Fifteen years ago my son-in-law's father was diagnosed with renal cancer by his doctor and had to WAIT 6 months to see a renal doc to confirm and plan treatment. Renal doc said when he FINALLY saw him that it was too far advanced (gee, wonder why?) and that he couldn't do anything.

Seen MANY other instances. So, don't blame a recent politician for something that has been going on for YEARS'

Mon
Perhaps it is different where you live but ask any doctor in this region if Obamacare improved healthcare. It resulted in zero doctors in private practice because new requirements made it unaffordable for private practice doctors to stay in business. The ones old enough retired and the younger ones had no choice but to go to work for large hospitals which are being bought up by larger corporate hospitals.

·
Premium Member
28,221 Posts
Prayers said for both you and Martin.

2 of my older neighbors have been diagnosed with cancer of the blood, both ex-military. Neither has said anything about chemo or treatment of anything. One of hubby's uncles had a persistent anemia which was treated for a few years but the VA doc never gave him a reason for why he had anemia.

I hope you get some answers soon. Not knowing what is going on is really hard.

Vitamin C is necessary to help your body absorb iron. Are you eating enough raw fruit along with your liver and brawnswieger?

·
Super Moderator
16,932 Posts
My Father is now 97 years old.

Some years ago he needed to take iron pills, and he found out that ORGANIC iron pills were much kinder to his system. Also as long as he was on organic iron pills he did not burp iron.

And I do not remember: are the iron pills coated? If they are not coated it seems likely that you could SPLIT those iron pills into as many pieces as you want to, so as to be kinder to your system. It seems likely that adding a piece of an iron pill to your meals of liver and such would do you some good

I am sorry to hear that you are so ill! Personally, my ankles are not what they should be, and so I bought a used scooter chair for outside work, and I put what I harvest in the basket in front. For bigger work the chair can pull a cart.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I hope and pray you get the care that you need.

Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Perhaps it is different where you live but ask any doctor in this region if Obamacare improved healthcare. It resulted in zero doctors in private practice because new requirements made it unaffordable for private practice doctors to stay in business. The ones old enough retired and the younger ones had no choice but to go to work for large hospitals which are being bought up by larger corporate hospitals.
Not saying Obamacare improved healthcare. Am saying it was on a long, downhill slide for MANY years, not something you can blame on ONE event. That was just a candle on the cake. Wait and see what the REST of the candles bring with them!

Mon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts