A bird in the grocery store

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Apr 25, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Earlier today at the local overpriced grocery store a wild bird did enter the store, its flying around and they have no idea how to catch it, but want it removed, Any suggestions as to how to do this?

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I suppose wild cats are out?

Angie

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Hmmm no idea how to get rid of the bird, but Ive always wondered how they do that. You always see a few birds flying around at Lowes or Menards and Ive seen them at Wally world too. Wonder How they do get them out? I know here at the University, there are two guys who work for physical plant and their job is to go around catching birds, squirrels and any other livestock that turns up inside a campus building. You should have been here the day a squirrel led them a merry chase through a crowded library assisted by a troupe of helpful(?) fraternity boys.
    It was like the 3 stooges. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Hope they catch that bird, cant have them pooping on the well heeled shoppers and expensive miniature veggies. :haha:

Hows your shooting eye Moopups? Why not really liven up the shopping day and go over with your shot gun and take a few shots at the bird. We will watch for you on the 10 oclock news. Just kidding. :)

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

turn the lights out and listen.

5. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Hows your shooting eye Moopups? Why not really liven up the shopping day and go over with your shot gun and take a few shots at the bird. We will watch for you on the 10 oclock news. Just kidding. :)[/QUOTE]

:haha:

That's about the only way that birds going to be forced out. Otherwise they will just have to hope he leaves on his own.

6. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Birds usually enter thru the loading dock when trucks are unloading and the doors are up. They can try opening the loading dock doors and hope he/she is a goner or maybe have a few more fly in for company.

7. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Get it in a corner and throw a sheet over it. :) Sometimes they fly into the wall and hit it, makes them dizzy. The worst is if they get into the ceiling fan.

8. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

We work in an un-air conditoned warehouse, and we have very many fans. When a bird comes into the plant, we turn off all lights, and open big bay door . The bird sees only this exit now as light comes in this door only, and birds can sense windflow very well ,so we point one of the small caged fans outward, and woosh the little guy or gal flies out very soon.I have done this several times, and once we got a Bat late one evening, those little fellers are mean. Try to grab one with gloves on only and they will tear you a new one if you do not have leather gloves on.Marty.

9. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

hey, birdseed on sticky tape might work, moops.

10. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

one of the local grocery stores here had a sparrow flying around in it for two years I think she died though, and the walmart next to that store had a hawk flying around in it once.

11. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Birds inside tend to fly upwards. If they have a high window they should open it. Even if they just have upstairs offices they could turn lights on up there when it gets dark, the bird should fly up to the light, and at least it can then be confined in a more manageable space.

Have light where you want the bird to go. DON'T have light above where you want it to go, or it will fly up towards the "open sky" whenever it gets wary of goings-on.

12. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Alright, sparrows I can see feeding of bread, vegetables, grain, dogfood, birdseed, etc. However, what would a hawk eat in a walmart? Did it raid the meat counter occasionally, or hang around in the pet department hoping to catch a rabbit?

13. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why it went into the walmart but if that wasn't a hawk it sure had a nice wingspan and I must say I've never seen a crow with those colors. :rolleyes:

14. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

When I worked for a large pet store with high ceilings, we used super-soaker to get escapees and wild birds down fast. We couldn't risk having wild birds in the store and the water doesn't harm them as much as someone clumsy with the net (the hoop of the net does quite some damage when smashed against the bird the person is trying to catch). Just have a couple people below holding a sheet to catch them. Put them in a cardboard box to dry andset them go again.

15. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

There has been a sparrow in the Ultra store here for about a year now. Surprisingly nobody minds.