Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start early this year! It's time again for our annual - Christmas Card Exchange - Christmas isn't that far off - and you know how time flies!

For any new folks who have not participated, you may be asking "What is this and how does it work?" You email me your information - names, address, and email address, and once we reach the deadline - November 27, I email back to you the list of names and addresses. Once you receive the list, you mail a Christmas card to each person on the list (or however many you can). Then you sit back and watch your mail box for all kinds of cards to arrive.

"Who is eligible?" Anyone and everyone that is a member at Homesteading Today. It doesn't matter what forum you hang out on, or how long you have been a member, or where you live, or even what country you are from - all are welcome. In the past, we've exchanged cards with HT members from Canada, England, France, Germany, and India.

"What kind of card should I send?" Any kind you want to. In the past we have received all kinds of cards - store bought, hand made, post cards, photo cards, etc. Some have been religious, funny, serious, old-fashioned, modern - it's totally up to you. (Some folks get really creative!) Some cards have enclosers with them - bookmarks, home-made ornaments, jokes, pictures, recipes, seeds, etc. However, you are not required to send an enclosure. But let me warn you - some people are glitter crazy and once you open one of these cards, you will still be finding glitter throughout your home long AFTER Christmas!

"What happens if I can't or don't send to everyone?" We hope you can send a card to everyone (we usually have 50 - 70 participants), but we know some people just can't afford to. Instead of excluding them from participating though, we simply ask that you send as many cards out as you can. (And if you can't send to everyone, I ask that you randomly pick names from the list.) PLEASE NOTE: If you send cards to everyone on the list, chances are you will NOT receive the same amount of cards back. Some people can't afford it, some have medical isues that prevent them from writing so many cards, family issues / emergencys pop up, financial issues suddenly pop up, time restraints, etc. Christmas season is the season of giving - we don't want to exclude anyone.

"Is my information safe?" Yes. Your information is kept and only shared with others who have signed up on the Christmas Card Exchange. No one outside the list will get your information - do NOT share information with anyone who is not signed up. Most people use their home addresses, but a few use a P. O. box.

"What is the deadline for signing up?" I must have your information BEFORE 11:59 P.M. on Thanksgiving Day - November 27th.

"Sounds like fun - how do I sign up?" It IS fun! And it's exciting to go out to your mailbox and receive cards from all over the country (or other countries). It can also be a learning experience - last year a participant emailed me "Michael, please add me to the card exchange. I absolutely love this. I started doing this when I was homeschooling my son and he learned so many places on the map by finding where the cards came from. He is in medical school now, and I still love sending and receiving the cards. When he comes home at Christmas, he still always looks at all the cards and addresses."

Email me at [email protected] - (PM me only if necessary.) In the subject line put "2014 Christmas Card Exchange" and please send your information in the following format:

Your full name
HT Screen Name (So we know who you are.)
Street
City State Zip
Email address

Your email address will NOT show up on the Christmas Card Exchange list - this is only for MY information so I can email you a copy of the list. Before sending your email to me, please DOUBLE CHECK your information to verify it's correct - sometimes our fingers get ahead of our brain!

After you email me, please leave a note on this thread. This provides a double check for me - so I can compare between this forum and my email that I did receive your information. I will email you back once I have received your information and entered it, but please be patient - it may take several days before I let you know I've received your information.

And as we get closer to November 27th, I will list everyone's Screen name that is participating, so please check back here shortly before Thanksgiving. This provides a triple check that I haven't forgot anyone.

Okay, who is ready to sign up and have some fun?!?! :bouncy:

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Info sent. I missed last year and my mail was lonely and so was I :) ready to rock this year.

Thanks for doing this again Michael.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Info sent. It is a great idea to start this up early. That gives folks a chance to buy stamps gradually. I plan to get a book to put aside each time I go to the post office...that way I won't have a big out of pocket expense in December.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Info sent

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
:clap::happy:

Info sent! Look out, i gathered all kinds of goodies for making cards this year.
I had so much fun last year !! I think I will start making cards early this year too.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Message sent. Might want to make this a sticky so it doesn't get lost off the first page.

Thanks again for your hard work!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Thank you so much for all the energy you put into coordinating this every year. It is a wonderful tradition my family looks forward to every year!! Info sent.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Michael, I just sent you my info. Thank you for organizing this again. We all know it is big job. This will be my 3rd year. I love exchanging cards.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just emailed you my info. Thank you so much for doing this again!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Just sent in my info. Thanks for doing this again!! And we know who loves to include glitter!!! :nono:

Reactions: BamaNana

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Email sent!! This is THE highlight of my holiday season!!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Currently we have 18 people signed up. I've emailed everyone I've gotten information from that you are on the list.

Several people signed up that have never participated before - they will be in for an experience!!

1 - 20 of 180 Posts