9n tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by petefarms, Mar 10, 2005.

1. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

have replaced the coil, sparkplugs, resistor, starter switch, distributor cap, new ampmeter now the tractor just barely turns over, when i put a 200 amp battery charger/starter it will turn over but then start to fail, it's like theres a short somewhere, or loosing power somehow. any ideas will be appreciated. thanks.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

what are the battery cables like?bad ground will make a good battery die fast .

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

is it 6or 12 volt, pos or neg ground?

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Have you had the starter tested professionally?

Turning over and then starting to fail like it's losing power sounds like the starter itself is getting hot and failing.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If it is 6 volt the ground cable needs to be twice as large as todays commonly found. The original grounds were big wide mesh cables, there is less flow in 6 volt systems, just enlarge the ground cable.

6. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Ford 9Ns were originally 6 volt, POSITIVE ground, the ground is opposite of what we are used to on most vehicles. Make sure you have the right side grounded. Also, as already mentioned, check your cables and all connections in the wiring, from the battery to the switch, etc., and to the ground.

Jim

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You did not state that you replaced the capacitor/condenser. Did you take the distributor off while servicing it and if so did you get it back in time when you replaced it? It can easily be 180 degrees out of time.

9. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

I have replaced the condensor. It has been converted to 12 volt, I will recheck the wiring, although it has been done, I also have put a new starter on. Thanks for the help.

10. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

WisJim,

Good point to remember of a 6v system. Embarassingly I took my battery out of my Ford 800 to keep it inside over the winter. Come spring I charged it and put it in. I FORGOT IT WAS POSITIVE GROUND and replaced Coil cap and points before I realized my mistake. Felt pretty stupid about it afterwards.

I also have a problem with the ignition switch on that. Apparently the way it's wired the hot to the coil passes through something in the instrument panel that has a short. I "fixed" it by running a separate wire from the battery negative terminal on the battery to the coil which I only put on when I want to run it. It keeps the battery from running down while sitting. I plan to make the fix permanent by putting one of those battery terminal shut switches (like for theft prevention) on that wire but haven't got around to it yet.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Regardless of the orientation of the battery when installed in the 9n tractor it will run provided the timing and other settings are correct. It just will not charge the battery properly and the coil may overheat.
    Petefarms, you did not answer my question about did you remove the distributor in your efforts? I think you have the tractor 180 degrees out of time.