Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife 97 Plymouth Voyager throws the belt everytime it gets wet. Has anyone had this problem or had to fix this problem?

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
AJ,

I remember we talked a while back about this...is this the one where it was hard to find a new tensioner? 4 banger? Anyhow, visit here to get started in the right direction (look near the bottom of the page):

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2911&location_id=3488

There are several theories why the belt walks off, but this type of grooved on BOTH sides type of belt on all grooved pulleys will stay put. There was another company besides Gates that made a similiar kit. I've installed several of the Gates kits for people and they are high quality. I bought the last one at O'reilleys for a 3.0...it was about $170 or so.

BTW:Some car manufacturers such as Ford put a lip on the edge of the pulley, so the belt won't walk off the smooth surface easily. You might be able to do mods if you can't buy a kit to fit. Gates sells replacement double sided belts and who knows, maybe they would sell the pulleys too. The pulleys are plastic, but 3 years later they are still holding up on the first one I did for a farmer friend.

Any questions, just pm me.

RF

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AJ,

I remember we talked a while back about this...is this the one where it was hard to find a new tensioner? 4 banger? Anyhow, visit here to get started in the right direction (look near the bottom of the page):

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2911&location_id=3488

There are several theories why the belt walks off, but this type of grooved on BOTH sides type of belt on all grooved pulleys will stay put. There was another company besides Gates that made a similiar kit. I've installed several of the Gates kits for people and they are high quality. I bought the last one at O'reilleys for a 3.0...it was about $170 or so.

BTW:Some car manufacturers such as Ford put a lip on the edge of the pulley, so the belt won't walk off the smooth surface easily. You might be able to do mods if you can't buy a kit to fit. Gates sells replacement double sided belts and who knows, maybe they would sell the pulleys too. The pulleys are plastic, but 3 years later they are still holding up on the first one I did for a farmer friend.

Any questions, just pm me.

RF
Rocky,

Sorry for the delay! It is my Wife's 3.3L 6 banger Plymouth. I have the 4 banger Dodge. I will check out the Gates kit.

Thanks,

AJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts