97 Honda TRX250 question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, Dec 2, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Before I go any farther I thought I would ask you folks for your opinion.

It will only run with the choke fully engaged even after warm up.

open the throttle push the choke in and it starts to spit and sputter and then dies.

Your thoughts?

2. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

My first thoughts are that the carburator is plugged up. It appears that with the choke on it runs as this richens up the mix, probably through an idle circuit. I would start with cleaning the carb.

Theront

3. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Too much air or not enough fuel. I would start with the simplest thing first and look for a vacuam leak.

4. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Thanks much, could'nt find a leak, so I pull the carb down and cleaned it. Hopfully when I put it back together it will run. One little mistake though, I forgot to pull a little o-ring off before I sit it down in the carb. cleaner. :nono: You know the rest of the story.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

While you have the carb off turn the gas on and observe the flow out of the supply hose to the carb. I have seen the Hondas with the gas cutoff valve have the valve clogged and that would starve the engine for fuel and it would behave as described. You will need a nice steady stream.

6. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

After a good soak in carburetor cleaner and cleaning the fuel tank and lines everything works fine now. Thanks for your input