97 Chevy dually rear brakes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by centexguy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

My truck needs brake shoes. Ive changed many on 1/2-3/4 trucks.this is my first 1ton. I got the tires off now what? wow, thats a big brake drum! It looks like several bolts on the end of the axle have to be removed to get it off. Its a bit different than what I expected to see. How about you mo sperienced truck mechs lay some knowledge on me. please. :haha:

2. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

3. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Do yourself a really big favor, go to a parts store and get yourself a shop manual.
    The one ton axle probably requires pulling those axles, and the bearings and seals all come out with it.
    There can be problems if you start mixing stuff up , or mess with things like bearing preloads.
    Manuals are cheap insurance.

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

you are more likley to break the drum than pull it off , the easy way is to pull the hub off , always fit new seals when you have had a hub off , and you need a specal box spanner to remove the hub nuts (hidden behind the half shaft), and be very carefull preloading the bearings when you rebuild the hub ( too tight the bearings burn out, too loose and the hub asembly will fall off)
    the job is simple when seen but near imposible to explain, buy a manual to the vehicle .with lots of pictures!

5. Farmer Brownn

Farmer Brownn Member

Just take all the nuts off end of hub and knock axle loose with light hammer blows to edge . May or may not have wedges around studs so save these to put back in. Unbend the retainer tab that holds nut from backing off and remove the two nuts. They come off easy. If no socket you can use a small chisel and light tap the will come off with fingers. Hub and drum will remove now. Brakes are same as pickup. When I put back on I tighten, spin, then back off until just a slight drag is felt--very slight only. Refill grease you lost New seals almost always as you bang them up getting off. These axles about all the same. Just did an airbrake axle and evenmore simple that hyd. Justmore heavy. Once you get into it it explains by itself.