Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend has a 95 subaru legacy she is having problems with. i didn't get great detail as to what has already happened as our chat was short. she mentioned having the heater core replaced, the thermostat replaced and a relay replaced. now her cooling system fans on the radiator are not working and her car is overheating on occasion.

having just been down this road with my VW jetta, my first thought was whatever controls her fans. on my car, a low speed fan switch or temperature sensor switch (it had a few names depending on where you looked) is mounted in the radiator. i replaced that and my fan works now.

i only had about 2 minutes to look at her car. she has two fans at the radiator and i couldn't see a sensor in the radiator. i figure if it isn't there, it must be on the engine somewhere. i didn't really have time to check it out close, but i did see something near the drivers side front of the engine that could be a temperature sensor. ebay has a temperature sending unit with one prong listed for $9. i wonder if it could be that easy, lol.

here is the thing though...she has two fans and neither works. i'm guessing that one is the low temp fan and both function at higher temps. so why are both not working? she has dumped a lot of money in this rig already and still has problems. i am trying to save her a few bucks by trying to find the cheap stuff cheaply. problem is i have no book for this car and all of the downloads require membership or money.

does anyone here know much about subaru's from this year?

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I don't know a thing about Subarus...but do either of the fans start when the AC is turned on?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't know as i haven't had much time to check it out, but that was the case with my jetta. i ran the ac to run the coolilng fan until i could replace my sensor/switch.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Did you check for a blown fuse?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Chilton's has a good diagnostic routine for checking the radiator fan. I would try to get a copy of that first. If you can't buy a copy you could pull the plug off the fan housing and check the wires to see of the fan is getting 12 volt power. Test it with the air conditioner on, because it it usually wired to be hot whenever the aircon gets turned on.

If that does not work you can try running jumper wires directly from the battery over to the fan motor. If it runs, then you know the motor is OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts