Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,172 Posts
kbb value for your area and work from there. Look for rust under the bed, especially where the welds are. Brake lines, check for rust. I'm not familiar with diesel engines but Ford has gotten slack about under carriage and brake lines rusting out. We've replaced the brake lines on 3 Fords now and both my vans have rusted out floors right around the welds around the wheel wells.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
What would you give for one? What problems would you look for?
..............I'd wait and look for a 94 through 98 ! Ford added turbo charging at the end of the 94 model year , tremendous increase in performance ! And , starting in 1999 , they added disc brakes to the rear axle and several other improvements , including a 6 speed manual trany with OD . , fordy:coffee:

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Tramsmission. My dh just rebuilt his. But his i believe is 350. Top to bottom rebuilt. Loaned it to the pastor to move and he snapped the transmission in half. Seriously. A stick at that. Just wow! Like they say no good dead goes in punished.
Wanna buy a truck?

T

·
0 Posts
Jasper transmissions are worthy replacements. I just sold my 20-year old pickup, and Hubby's has 425,000 on his. We do old. And make them last.

A Jasper, installed, with a 3-year warranty is only $2500! In the scheme of the F-Series, it is not an issue. If you can get a solid body and solid engine.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Too hard to offer a price guesstimate w/out photos or more information. Like... crew cab, super cab, mileage, condition, was it wrecked/salvage, etc.

In decent shape, with some rust around the fenders, door panels, I'd probably offer 2500-3000.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
If its got an automatic you might want to look for something else. The E4OD transmission, in my experience, stinks.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Jasper transmissions are worthy replacements. I just sold my 20-year old pickup, and Hubby's has 425,000 on his. We do old. And make them last.

A Jasper, installed, with a 3-year warranty is only $2500! In the scheme of the F-Series, it is not an issue. If you can get a solid body and solid engine.
There is an 8-12 mth wait for the transmission! A national back order! Gah! I feel like a 4 yo throwing a fit. We just rebuilt everything! Now this. I swear I'm going to throw myself on the floor. We have between the purchase if the truck and repairs close to 9000.

T

·
0 Posts
There is an 8-12 mth wait for the transmission! A national back order! Gah! I feel like a 4 yo throwing a fit. We just rebuilt everything! Now this. I swear I'm going to throw myself on the floor. We have between the purchase if the truck and repairs close to 9000.

We have not been told that... I am not sure who told you that. Perhaps call another dealer?

We saw online that ours would be $2300 or something like that. The local dealer told us his price is cheaper and includes installation...

We had gotten an Aamco rebuild at 402,000 miles for $1800 and it lasted long enough to pass its 12month/12,000 mile warranty and not much more. So we will go with the new Jasper for $2500 this time to get it installed and warranted.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1412951482.334306.jpg

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I picked up a 92 F350 4x4 crew cab for 500 to use as a farm truck. Have had it almost 2 years, so far new tires and new batteries. Less than 200k miles and starts and runs great.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
our 95 f350and 96 f250crewcabs are great but we don't put many miles on them. the seats are awful as the air bladder won't hold air anymore. both trucks will shell out the bearings on the vacuum pump often. no major problems and we have an awesome mechanic. max speed is 85 and they don't turn like modern trucks. we will never have to buy another truck. I expect to have our kids fight for them after our death.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
our 95 f350and 96 f250crewcabs are great but we don't put many miles on them. the seats are awful as the air bladder won't hold air anymore. both trucks will shell out the bearings on the vacuum pump often. no major problems and we have an awesome mechanic. max speed is 85 and they don't turn like modern trucks. we will never have to buy another truck. I expect to have our kids fight for them after our death.
I don't see lots of Fords for sale. Gasoline is the reason I'm considering a diesel and want an older one. The newer ones seem to be more reliant on the system.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Here's our girl sitting at the mechanic! Dh just said part of our higher cost is she needs a new clutch. That's 1400.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like the older ones. Not as much power, but better fuel mileage. Unless your pulling a 40' stock trailer you will have all you need. The 3/4 ton will be dragging on the ground before you run out of power. If you can see how it starts when cold. Glow plugs on those went bad fast.

It is best to have manual tranny as the engine makes to much torque for the automatic. That's why everyone is talking about. If its auto either the tranny is bad or it will be.

This truck could be worth $2000-10000 depending on condition miles and so on.

I would be happy to help but need more info

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
If it were used in my area, I would look on one side and see if I could see through to the other. It would be rusted away. LOL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too hard to offer a price guesstimate w/out photos or more information. Like... crew cab, super cab, mileage, condition, was it wrecked/salvage, etc.

In decent shape, with some rust around the fenders, door panels, I'd probably offer 2500-3000.
Thanks, I am very aware that options make a difference in price/value. I am not really looking for a quote.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the older ones. Not as much power, but better fuel mileage. Unless your pulling a 40' stock trailer you will have all you need. The 3/4 ton will be dragging on the ground before you run out of power. If you can see how it starts when cold. Glow plugs on those went bad fast.

It is best to have manual tranny as the engine makes to much torque for the automatic. That's why everyone is talking about. If its auto either the tranny is bad or it will be.

This truck could be worth $2000-10000 depending on condition miles and so on.

I would be happy to help but need more info
I would count myself extremely lucky to find a manual.

T

·
0 Posts
An auto can be converted over for about $4000 by a shop, or about $1000 by yourself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts