911 call helps!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JR05, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

This past 2 weeks for me has been terrible. We have lost 3 goats due to mystery illness and a c-section. Posted about the star-gazing and such before. Well they are all better and you wouldn't know they had been sick. The one I want to talk about is a 4 year old that just got sick she had diareha, no appetite, and was lossing weight daily. First I wormed her and gave b12 shots.(Had just wormed last month) didn't seem to help. Took sample to a vet (mine was very sick) had cocci and worm overload. Now this was after I wormed her. So, we treated the cocci with albon and wormed her again. The only thing keeping this goat alive was the gatoraide and nutridrench I was pouring down her throat. Talked to some very nice people at the goat 911#. They said I was doing all I could. But it is nice to beable to talk to someone as something new might come up. Well we are into a week of treating this doe and my vet is finally well enough to come in the office. He tells me that during July and August the normal wormers don't work expecially in this heat we are having. Great!, He said to use levasol sheep drench at 2cc per 50#,as it kills the adults immediately. and then do it again in 10 days. Within 24 hours I see this goat nibbling on grass and starting to chew her cud again! If you are having problems with worms try this wormer. We wormed all 60 goats this weekend just to make sure we caught any that didn't with the worming for last month. The doe is eatting regularly and is slowly starting to act like her old self.

jr05

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I am having trouble with my only doe still milking. It is soooo hot and dry here, and the goats are grazing down to the ground since I cut their ragweed. :rolleyes: "Jackie" had runs again yesterday, and I did give her Levasol last night, but I used the injectable. I wonder what the difference is between that and a drench (?)
    mary

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am glad to hear things are better for you. I have never heard of that wormer before (Levasol). Thanks for the heads up.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

A question JR, what wormer were you using before?

I'm sorry for the trouble you've been having. I hope you're "over the hump" now.

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is a difference in the injectible and drench.The drench mixes with water and will keep up to 90 days in a sealed container and was very easy to administer.
    I was using ivermectin and safeguard normally and valbazen as a back up on the troubled ones.
    On the package there are directions for 3 different methods. We used the one that calls for 17.5 ounces of water, it wormed all the girls and kids with enough left over to get the boys side this weekend.Even did the bottle calf I have in with the girls!
    After reading some of the problems on the other threads Iam wandering if some of them are have the same problems I was having.And yes it is so nice to go in the barn and not have to worry I will see a dead goat again or have to torcher someone with a shot.

jr05