91 chev Blazer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

91 4.3 FI, 700 R4 tranny plain jane 4 door 4wd Blazer. Price is right and it's in decent enough shape. Fuel economy is unimportant, but interesting, what can I expect? A very minor puff of smoke on start up..... might that be the valve seals? If my wife will drive it I'd like a 4x4 again, was this a decent model?

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I have a '88 S-10 with the same drivetrain. You're right, the puff of smoke at startup is probably valve-stem seals. Mine does it as well, on occasion. My mechanic's response- 'It's a Chevy'. It can be fixed, but it won't be very easy. The 700-R4 is prone to overheating. You might want to get an external transmission cooler if you don't already have one. I had a problem with the tranny fluid leaking into the transfer case, so you might want to keep an eye on your fluid levels. The only other serious problem that I have had is with the hinges on the driver's side door. After a while, the hinges get weak and the door starts to sag. I don't remember if the '91 model has replacable hinges or not. On my '88, I went ahead and replaced the entire door. If you plan on doing your own work, the GM shop manual is definitely useful. I average about 20MPG, both in town or on the freeway.

3. gunsmithgirl

gunsmithgirl Missin Sweet Home Alabama

It may be worth it if its a full size balzer,I am not a fan of the s-10.Also the trans in it ,is not really a great one.If the price is right maybe I'd consider a new trans and rebuild kit for the motor,if it's puffing smoke you might as well rebuild the motor(or at least replace gaskets,seals,ect.)You never know whats in there from the previous owner.I own an 85 fullsize with a 350,I think it cost about $40.00 for a kit with all the gaskets and seals for the motor.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If the puff of smoke is blue/gray is oil and most likely the valve seals. If it's black, then it's just a little to rich at startup. If the plugs look good (grey or light tan) I wouldn't worry about the rich on startup. Had chevys do that for years.

5. Ross

Not to jinx it but I've had a 700 R4 in my full sized van for 10 years and it's been fine. Yeas it has a cooler so that's a good thought! I have a spare tranny anyhow. The blazer is the S10 size, I'd be dreaming to think my wife would drive a full sized truck. Our Crown Vic is about dead and while I have another I could put on the road, the thought of a 4x4 is a definate plus now we're in the city boundry and our roads don't see a plow very often. My thinking on the valves is to run it until it dies and see if it's worth putting a rebuild in or not then. If I got 20 k (2 years for all the road it'll see) on the original engine, the $500 fixing the seals and whatever it needs "while we're at it" would be a downpayment on a $1500 rebuilt engine. Paint is a bit ugly but the body is solid. 20 mpg would be a pleasant surprise 15 would do! As I said it wouldn't go far enough in a year to fuss over the fuel really. Thanks guys, I just hope she likes it!

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I had a 4.3 in a full size car and the engine performed flawlessly for the 136000 miles that I owned it and the engine was still performing at over 200,000 when I lost track of the car.

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I have an 89 S-10 Blazer,2wd ,with original engine, trans, etc. Mileage is 201,000 with original motor, & trans. I tow a lot so there is a trans cooler in front of radiator. Puff of smoke at start-up since 80k miles.No oil usage.I change oil every 3-4k & trans fluid every 25k.Gas mileage is 18/21. The 2wd will get better gas mileage & should be cheaper, overall, to operate than 4wd.
    When testing this Blazer, after it is warm, remove oil filler cap & look for puffs of smoke, there while idling.Also, look for smoke now from tailpipe? If any PASS it up! At idle & foot on brake, put into drive & hold brakes tightly & give some gas. Listen for over-revving of engine.[ trans slipping]. PASS if it does that.Many of these Blazers still around & for under $2000, so shop wisely.

8. Esteban29304

I, also, meant to add. Be WARY of the 4.3 engines with " spider type'" intake. Intake looks like a "spider " & has Vortec on it. These were from 92-95, I believe. They have many more fuel delivery/carbon problems & are $$$ to fix. I would keep looking & find a 2wd, if you don't really need the 4wd.MUCH less to go wrong!

9. Ross

Its not a Vortec, and while I hear ya on the 2wd being cheaper to own its not a huge issue to keep up. (I've owned 4 4x4's before) Since my farm was located too close to the city, we had our township rolled into the city boundries and now snow plowing is very unreliable. Price is very sweet, under $1000 CDN on the road, so there's room to have some disapointment. The biggest potential problem is my wife will sit behind the wheel and decide she hates it, and at the moment I have to get something she will drive. Or I'd buy it for me!

10. Esteban29304

Price is good, if in good condition & decent miles.Look it over well & good luck!

11. Ross

Well mercy of mercies my darling wife likes it!! Something we can both drive and enjoy, without 4 months of shopping! And it is cheap, got a final price from my buddy, $400 (so $600 on the road) and (goes without saying) he'll help fix anything that's not right on it. We know the brakes and exhaust are good and it'll be registered as a "Farm" truck so no E test, although it just passed one 4 months ago. I have a used parts source in a neighbor with about 12 S10's out back and I pick up another parts truck tomorrow with a good 4.3 and 700R4 plus some bits and peices. Life is good!

12. Esteban29304

Sounds like a " GREAT DEAL" to me! Enjoy it!