9 month ram bullying 6 month steer

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by quiet mountain farmer, Sep 25, 2003.

1. quiet mountain farmer

quiet mountain farmer Well-Known Member

farm in forest, in mountains of north Idaho
    Once a 9 month old ram has butted a 6 month old steer it grew up with - bullied, and run him round and round the pasture - will he never be safe to stay with the steer again?

This just happened last night. Our ram LeRoy ran into the barn while the steer was eating, and butted the steer's side full blast - then chased and butted him until we got them apart... poor steer panting and gasping... 8O

I guess it's hormones, but what I wonder is - should we never let the 4 sheep and 2 steers in the same pasture/barn together again?

:(

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Tis the season, if you can keep them seperate until Dec. then all should be well, sheep mating season will be over and 6 mos steer will be 9 mos steer and too big to be bullied.

3. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

I just tossed my five month old steer in with my ewes two weeks ago. I'm wondering how my ram is going to be with the steer when I let him out and in with the ladies?? Becky

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Might be just fine, rams all have different personalities. Just don't let him read of Quiet Mountain Farmer's problem! :D