Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, these little 9 mo olds, probably close to 100lbs picking at their grain. They would take an hour if I had the patience.
Its not cold out & they arent very active with all the rain. They are always rarin to go when I open the gate but soon as I set the pans down they nibble & fight a little (Im sure some of them are in heat) but they seem to go through cycles of eating just a little or scarfing it down. They do have plenty hay free choice.
Early this am we had an appt so they didnt get any. When I came home they just fiddled with the grain. Like toddlers who will sometimes eat like there's no tomorrow and other times just play!
So how do I handle this? Keep up with their regular portion and take it away when they are no longer interested? Reduce the amounts?
There's nothing like a goat to scramble your brain. :grit:

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I wonder if the grain is ok....hmmmm. Is it a new bag by chance? Sounds like they don't like it for some reason.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah..it's the same stuff, no changes (Boer Goat Developer) The recently preggo does would kill me to get just a mouthful.

When they were seperated they ate pretty well most of the time...not always finishing their portion; now they are back with the main herd but still brought out for their own. Fidling around, just wondering, no worries just wondering....

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Either cut the grain in half (I did think of bad grain too, but you already addressed that) or just cut out the grain altogether. At that size, they don't really need grain anymore anyway (at least, not until you flush before breeding.)

Camille

·
Premium Member
16,093 Posts
Could the pan be dirty?

My goats who would sell their souls for 3 kernels of corn started leaving corn and alfalfa pellets in the pan. When I switched pans they licked it clean.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all...Camille pretty much addressed what I was mulling over; the fact that they probably just dont need anymore for now.
Last yr I fed the young uns almost a year and they started getting fat.

They are pretty clean but havent been scrubbed thoroughly for about a week. One girl always stands in a pan. They are those rubber ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.