8week doe with a runny nose, help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DomesticlyChall, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DomesticlyChall

DomesticlyChall Member

We just got our first goats on Saturday. We got a almost 2yr old doe and her 8 week old baby doe. We live in CA and have been having temps in the 90s, till yesterday! It got really chilly for most of the day and then at 2:00am started to drizzle rather hard. The goats have a "tarp tent' in their yard, but I guess between the drizzle and the winds that kicked up it was too much for the tarp and it leaked all over their 'covered' area. So I woke up to wet goats and a baby with a bit of a runny nose. I quickly got some towels in the dryer and warmed them up then wrapped up both mama and baby goat and gave them a good drying off. Baby is eatting, and seems to be ok, other then a bit of a runny nose. What should I be watching for?
    We are about to run to Lowes and get some supplies and build them a fully enclosed house. Guess I should never trust the sunny CA weather.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Theresa mama to
    3 busy lil girls, baking a baby boy (due 9/06)
    27 assorted chickens
    9 ducks
    and 2 Nubian Goats
    (slowly building our dream farm in the busy city)

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have a friend that has a 3 month old baby pygmy and it has had a rrunny nose every since she brought her home. She has been using Vet RX on her. Usally it clears right up but for some reason this is holding on and tight. I told her to put some Thyme oil in the water, depending on the size of the water tank, that clears my goats nose up and it helps if they have a cough.
    good Luck. OH could yopu please send some of that rain this way? We are SO dry that we all have been doing the rain dance, last night some areas got LOTS of hail, but we couldn't even get that.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I would say if you little one isn't feeling better soon or you notice green runnies. I would give a dose of penicillin. Should clear it up. Let the pen sit out for 30 min before using it. I take no chances with my babies, my DH says I should advertise quality pet raised pygmys. cuz all mine want to sit in your lap and get petted. Warm towels out of the dryer? You're not far off:)