Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8th wedding anniversary is looming ahead and I need some ideas of what to get for my wife. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What are her hobbies?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she had hobbies, it would be easy. :shrug:

She really doesn't have any. We both work from home (family business) and are at it from 10AM to 2AM, in addition to remodeling the house and raising a homeschooled 5 y/o. She doesn't like "stuff" like jewelry etc. For fun, she goes to homeschool book swaps.

All I'm faced with is a list of what she doesn't like:

Jewelry (waste of money)

Clothes (hard to find her size)

Flowers (cut flowers die, she even feels bad when DD picks wildflowers for her)

I've given her books, but she just this year finished reading the one I gave her in 1999!

I'm at a loss, but gifts and parties were important in her family. In my family was very poor and we played down that stuff. Often, the focal point of someone's birthday was that they got to pick what was for dinner. Her family was in the party-planning and supply business, so a birthday party was a big deal.

How do you pick a present for someone who doesn't want anything, but expects something anyway? We have everything we "need", and for the most part, everything we'd "want".

Actually, I'm the one that remembers the anniversaries, not her. I may end up having to fall back on making her a card, but am afraid it will seem like the lazy way out, because it is a card and not actually a "present".

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I say take her out to dinner. And buy her a single pink rose and a really mushy card. Women like thoughtful little romantic things and to be pampered a little.

One of my favorite things to recieve is a gift certificate for a therapeutic massage. They cost about $40. around here....sometimes up to $60. depending on the area you live in.

But the all-time best present is still a single rose and a mushy card. Just the fact that my husband took the time to walk into a flower shop means a whole lot to me.

Men think "expensive". Women think "romantic" and "thoughtful". Just think about what you might do if you were still dating--then do that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do you have a relative that your child can stay with overnight?
Order in anything that she does not have to cook, and show up in your birthday suit with a great attitude :)
Music, a few candles, flowers , a bottle of wine/sparkling cider are good too. Drag out the photos of you when you got married
motivated

Celebrate your life together.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought about going out to dinner to the nice place in the next town, but....she's on a diet! :rolleyes:

Our anniversary is this week, but next week we are supposed to make a day trip to the seacoast for her to visit with a friend from school (who now lives in Las Vegas, they see each other once a year). It's about a 100 mile trip each way. I wonder if I should quietly arrange for someone to critter-sit, and make it into an overnight trip so she'll have more time to visit her friend? Maybe I'll work that into the card...

When we have talked about this subject in the past, she has thrown out ideas like "write some poetry", which leaves me baffled. If I were the poetry writing sort of person, I wouldn't have been the one she married!?!?! I can do a lot of things, writing poetry isn't one of them. :p

We have been through a lot of stuff in 8 years, I don't know if there is any "mushy" left in either of us.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
motivated said:
Do you have a relative that your child can stay with overnight?
Order in anything that she does not have to cook, and show up in your birthday suit with a great attitude :)
Music, a few candles, flowers , a bottle of wine/sparkling cider are good too. Drag out the photos of you when you got married
motivated

Celebrate your life together.
No relatives that we could or would leave her with. I am the last one in my family, hers has basically disowned us and is 3 hours away anyway (wouldn't leave her unsupervised with thme anyway). There are many things that would be smoother in life if we had family to fall back on. Simple stuff like watching DD for a few hours, or just someone to go to for advice. I'm from a single parent family, she's fro a disfunctional one, not much valid advice to be had there anyway.

Maybe putting together a scrapbook of wedding pictures would be a good idea! DD has the 8x12 of it in a frame on her desk, but there are more that we haven't seen in years stashed in a box. We wrote our own vows, and maybe there is something cool I could do with them, like make them into something frameable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You're thinking now, coming up with some good ideas of your own. Mushy doesn't have to be MUSHY: think your wedding vows.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
How about a coupon book? Make up coupons or gift certificates for special little things, like an afternoon of watching the children so she can go out an about, a romantic dinner (if cooking isn't your strong point there are plenty of easy recipes that are perfect for this kind of thing, or you can order take-out), a relaxing back rub, etc.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Your wife is looking for you to tell her how much you love her in a creative romantic way.

Forget taking her to dinner. You cook her a gourmet low calorie meal. Get the candles. Pick out some love song cds to play for your special night. Get a bottle of champagne.
Get a babysitter who will watch your kid at their place. Make your wife a card with your original poem in it. It ain't difficult...time to man up.

BTW: Next time plan your anniversary months ahead...don't wait until the last minute.

RF

PS: Take your wife clothes shopping for her gift.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
She wants poetry......but you don't write poetry.

You said you have some photos that you could work into a scrapbook.......Guess what....a guy doing a scrapbook of memories.....well, that's just like writing poetry.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like the scrapbook idea. I think that she would really appreciate seeing the photos again all together in order. That is something that as a woman I really haven't had the time to do as well, and that would make my day!

If you wrote your own vows, then re-write/type them in your handwriting or a really pretty font and print them on vellum paper. Then put your wedding pics behind the paper in a collage type of way and frame. You could skip the pics and get some dried flowers or leaves and put them around the paper to look more natural and give that to her. I tell you, your wife sounds like me with the no jewelry/flowers/food. . .my DH is saving to buy me a gun for our anniversary!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The traditional gift for the 8th anniversary is copper or bronze.

The modern gift is linen or lace.

Which opens up a whole host of gift ideas.

Think copper hanging pots, or a garden statue (doesn't have to be big!) or kitchen ornament, perhaps. Or some lacy underwear, or a lace tablecloth or set of d'oileys, or a good linen outfit for 'best' wear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
culpeper said:
The traditional gift for the 8th anniversary is copper or bronze.

The modern gift is linen or lace.

Which opens up a whole host of gift ideas.

Think copper hanging pots, or a garden statue (doesn't have to be big!) or kitchen ornament, perhaps. Or some lacy underwear, or a lace tablecloth or set of d'oileys, or a good linen outfit for 'best' wear.
I didn't know there were traditional gifts for the years that weren't "round ones" like 10, 20 etc.

That's good to know!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PinkBat said:
She wants poetry......but you don't write poetry.

You said you have some photos that you could work into a scrapbook.......Guess what....a guy doing a scrapbook of memories.....well, that's just like writing poetry.
It is, but it isn't.

I can easily type up excerpts from the vows in a nice font, print them on parchment parer, etc etc. because it is techincal in nature. Guys think visually, and it is much easier for us to do stuff like that than it is for us to write poetry that make sense to us.

The last time I managed to write anytihng poetic was in grade school. For me to attempt it now would not go well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Natalie11 said:
...I tell you, your wife sounds like me with the no jewelry/flowers/food. . .my DH is saving to buy me a gun for our anniversary!
LOL! She got an ex-police department Mossburg 12-ga last year!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
A metal detector.

She and your 5 y/o would probably enjoy it. It counts as homeschool /local history/archeology/a break from the business/exercise and fun.

Pauline

1 - 20 of 32 Posts