8N won't start

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billooo2, Apr 6, 2005.

1. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually don't visit this forum.....I have an 8N tractor. I have not used it since last fall. I put a new battery in this spring. The engine turns over, but it doesn't "fire." Any suggestions on what or how to troubleshoot the situation, in order to determine what the problem is????

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Contact surfaces of points nice and clean? Sometimes just setting few months enough corrosion can form to not allow points to function. People forget as everything has some kind of electronic ignition anymore. At least that is first thing I would suggest. Could also be something like moisture inside distributor cap. Or corrosion somewhere else. Little dielectric grease on sparkplug wire terminals (both where they fit into distributor cap and where they fit on sparkplug) keeps them from corroding.

3. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

Have you checked for fire at the plugs? Didn't say if you have a front or side mount distributor. If side mount, check for voltage at positive terminal on coil. Check points on either type. Check voltage on ignition switch, doen't have to be on for starter to turn.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Any chance the battery is hooked up backwards? I think the 8Ns were positive ground, but check with others about this.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

oxidized points in the distributor as stated earlier, a reversed battery will still run but the battery may not charge. The gas is turned on at the bottom of the tank?

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

This is interesting, as I had trouble with my Ford 9N a couple of hours ago. First, check the spark. Next, make sure you actually have fuel in the carb--loosen up the gas line to the carb and make sure you get gas running out. Then drain the gas out of the bottom of the carb. making sure that it is getting that far. Check the air cleaner for mice and their nests. Check the points and connections as already suggested. Spray some ether (starting fluid) in the carb or air cleaner as a last resort if you have a spark and it still doesn't want to start.
    If it is a front distributer model (and I don't recall when they changed) they canbe awkward to work on. But a side distributer model is easier, and the distributer is more like one in a car. Mine won't restart if the distributer gets wet, and I have tried lots of things to try to keep it dry and none do much good. I have also had to replace the coil.

And the trouble with my 9N? It turned out to be a blockage in the fuel valve at the gas tank.

Jim

7. billooo2

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be checking those things tomorrow. (It is a front mounted distributor.)

8. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

How many hours on this engine?

If it's a well worn engine. And if you have spark and fuel. Next I'd pull the spark plugs and give each cylinder a squirt of clean engine oil. In my experience sometimes when a well worn engine sits a while the cylinders dry out and it has trouble with compression. A little oil in the rings will help. Just squirt some in and let it sit an hour or so, then try it.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Check spark, a corroded point set/ dampness as others mentioned.

Varnish in the gas, gummed up the carb can also be a problem.

6v or 12v conversion for the battery? 6v was positive ground, conversions are typically a rats-nest of poor wiring & I wouldn't hazzard a guess.....

--->Paul

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If it has been sitting that long there is a good chance the gas might have lost it's good, as in all of the good is gone. Did you drain the tank and start with fresh gas? I checked everything on my neighbors 8N and after a while it finally dawned on me that it had been sitting for a while. Changed out the gas and it started right up.

11. billooo2

I have not been able to check those things yet....I got "rained out" one day, and today I had appointments all day, and tomorrow is an "all day" workshop....hopefully, Sunday.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I am sure one of those will work!!!