88 Ford Range XLT - Just Bragging

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My 84 Ranger finally bit the dust it looks like (looooong story). Put a wanted ad in the local paper for a late 80s Ranger and got a call for a referral to a friend in the next county. He had an 88 Ford Range XLT. 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual (said 25 mpg on highway), cruise control, extended cab in REALLY nice condition. Said when he bought it, it had rust around the wheel wells of the bed and front fenders, so he found another junker with good ones and swapped out. Gave me a couple of extra parts off the other so I believe it. Said he went through it and repaired almost anything needed (emergency brake needs a new cable). Had it repainted and said he didn't repaint over rust. 25K on speedometer, which looks far more like 125K than 225K.

I know a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins, but... He apparently fixes up vehicles for resale as a hobby and sure sounded like he knew what he was doing. Retired independent trucker who did his own work. Just got the impression he wasn't B-Sing about it.

My problem now it is it too pretty to take out on the farm - through the fields and over the hills. Now I need to find a clunker for a farm truck!!!

Price was $2K, by the way. I didn't even try to haggle. I almost feel like I have a brand new, 06 model vehicle.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Pretty cool.Dont worry,it will be a farm truck before you know,things like that tend to happen.

sounds like a super deal,congrats.

BooBoo

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I just gave my BIL a 87 ford ranger extended cab. It had the 2.9 v6. It has some scab on the bed and the front fender, but the cab is good, runs good. I had a new clutch and throw out bearing with it. He installed it and is enjoying the 4x4 now in the latest snow. Those are great little trucks. I wanted to keep it for a run around/farm vehicle, but couldn't justify paying for lic/insurance on it, my f250, my wifes van, and the dump truck. So I had to send the little guy packing. Too bad really. I still want one. sigh.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

IMHO one way the U.S. vehicle industry has hurt themselves is not offer a 'just transportation' small pickup and two-door car. Sort of a pickup and car version of a Yugo. Each time they try the concept they automatically start adding on bells and whistles until it is priced out of the 'just transportation' range. But then, the bells and whistles are likely were they make their money on the deal.