Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother thought the hose Clamp was bad oon the hose, But I just found out its the neck on the Top of the Radiator, So I guess I go over to 3 Star Tuesday for him with the truck. I figure $25.00 To rebraze the neck in. You can see the water coming out under pressure When you shut the motor Off, He was thinking Stop leak the other day, But Not now..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
he might need to check the motor mounts too..... a radiator shouldnt just all of a sudden lose its solder joint like that... something had to cause it most likely from a vibration or constant twist.... i would think..... and it is an easy check with a jack under neath.... and of course I aint a mechanic so I could be wrong to even think such could happen.

William

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Am thinking hat the underlyeing cause was the U joints that were replaced 8 weeks ago. There was A wobble and thump from them befor they were changed, Then the Clutch Assymble And Flywheel was changed as well as A New Starter. The Unstableness of the wobble ,could have been the trouble! Plus This truck was Bought 19 months Ago used & Abused. It had $300.00 worth of work under the hood ,After it was bought. The dealer covered Half the cost then.!!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
If this is the original 20 year old radiator I think patching it might be a waste of money but that's for you to judge.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother looked at it this afternoon before he left for work, He was saying Most likely he will Need to buy A New one. ( That won't be cheap)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't know if this is any help, but I had a kind of similar experience this winter.

This winter we had a crazy cold 2 weeks, 40 below most days. I wasn't driving much, but one day i had to, and I plugged by 96 Ranger in, and then went driving. Well it started leaking anti-freeze. I looked, and it seemed to be coming from the top of the rad, where the hose fits in. I am not the most mechanical guy, but I figured maybe my rad froze solid and cracked, and that I was basically screwed.

I took it in to the garage,(watching the temp gauge all the way). He said that the rad and the metal flange where the hose fits are made of different metals, with slightly different expansion/contraction rates. Normally it doesn't make any difference, but when it is insanely cold it shows up and these rads leak a little.

I don't know if this would apply if it was very, very hot.... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Three words: Bars Leaks Pelletized. It'll seal it. I bought a police auction little Stanza with leaks all over the radiator. It's a low-buck car, so a new radiator was out, as was a repair. I tossed in the Bars Leaks. End of problem.

Web site link:

http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

I tried the silver powder with the psyllium hulls first, no luck at all. The pelletized stuff really seals.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got the Leak slowed down, And Then Jesus, Came by and said he might have one that will work. So nI will wait and see!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
you can get a brand new radiator for about 120 dollars lifetime warranty. so its not too awful bad high.

i always tell customers that ask me that i wont use any of the stop leaks. reasoning for me is if it will plug cracks etc what else is it plugging? filling the cooling fins with gunk etc. you start to lose your cooling abilities as those fins are filled with stop leak as well as your heater core.

·
Registered
300 Posts
DrippingSprings said:
you can get a brand new radiator for about 120 dollars lifetime warranty. so its not too awful bad high.

i always tell customers that ask me that i wont use any of the stop leaks. reasoning for me is if it will plug cracks etc what else is it plugging? filling the cooling fins with gunk etc. you start to lose your cooling abilities as those fins are filled with stop leak as well as your heater core.
Totally agree with Dripping Springs. Every time I used stop leak in the past, it was a mess. I quit using any stop leak after I tore down a wet sleeve engine where I could see what a mess it made in the cooling passages around the sleeves and pistons, etc. If you are going to drive it for any length of time, just shop for a new radiator. That is what I do now, end up spending less money and much better cooling.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts