86 ford bronco problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by country friend, Dec 30, 2003.

1. country friend

country friend country friend

My problem is I bought a 86 ford bronco runs great starts great.Problem is wont turn over after it gets warmed up till the engine is cold again . Took to mechanic who replaced the starter still same problem . Any advice please help low on cash this is my only farm vehicle.
    Thanks Indiana Country Friend Jack Bunyard
    bunyard@cnc.com

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

It is probably your TFI (thick film ignition) module. If your bronco ever stalls at odd times then it is definately the TFI module. They cost about $100 and you can install it youself pretty easily if you pick up a ford ignition module wrench ($5) at the same time.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Ok you said it won't TURN OVER until it cools down, which I take to mean the starter won't spin the engine over. This has nothing to do with the ignition if I am understanding this correctly. Since the mechanic replaced the starter I ASSume I am correct.
    First thing to check is the battery, it must be properly load tested. Since money is an issue go to any automotive supermarket(Advance, Auto Zone) and they will test it for free. They can also test the amperage draw of your starter. BUT before you can proceed furthur be sure to check the battery cable terminals. Remove and clean them to be sure. After that a voltage drop test should be performed to see where you are losing voltage to the starter,again I'm ASSuming that your starter is good since it's been replaced. Usual suspects in this case are bad battery cables and their connections and a bad starter solenoid. The solenoid is the part on the fenderwell that the positive battery cable connects to. They can deteriorate to the point that they drop the voltage going to spin the starter.

4. melina

melina Well-Known Member

Had the same problem. It was a sensor and required being put on the computer to confirm it. Worked like a charm after sensor was replaced. In fact, it's still running like a champ.

5. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem on a '85 F-150 truck. Wouldn't turn over when it was cold one day. Checked the headlights when I tried to start and they did not dim, which indicates no current draw from the battery. I took a small piece of 2x4 and hit the starter solenoid with small rap up side of the head and the truck started. Looks like the solenoid got stickey or the contacts are corroded, I guess I'll replace it one of these days.
    Manny

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

from the + lead on the battery follow the cable to the starter solenoid on the inner fender. At the solenoid you will see 2 large terminals each with battery size cable attached. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL and with the engine hot in a condition where it will not start short across the 2 lugs with a sacrificial large screwdriver and see if the starter will turn the engine over. If it does then the starter is OK and the solenoid is not OK. IF the starter does not rotate the engine, then the problem is from the + lead back to the battery.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I looked in my service manuals and this is what it says is the problem;

"this problem is the fault of the owner who bought a ford produced after 1970"

:haha:

it does sat the problem can be corrected with a crusher and 3 to 5k for an older truck.
    :haha:

sorry.. just jabbin ya. I concur with the above, those sensors go and cause all kinda troubles.

8. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

DH wants to know if the engine has recently been overhauled? If not he agrees with Beeman's post. Also, if the starter was bought at Auto Zone (Duralast) don't think automatically that the starter is a good one. "Auto Zone sells @#$%!^ starters." (His bad language not mine :) )

Anniebek

9. country friend

country friend country friend

Thanks for all the help. I took and printed all your replies and gave them to the mechanic . HE checked every thing put on some new cabels put on another new starter and changed the timing not sure what one solved the problem . He did not charge be one dime said he should have checked it better for he sent it home with me . :)

10. Unless you specifically told the mechanic to replace the starter, I think I'd get another mechanic too. He didn't even check it after he replaced the starter?