86 blazer wont start

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Gwendolyn, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

I sure hope someone can give me a few ideas on where to start with a problem I am having with my 86 blazer 4x4.

Friday morning I started my beast and let it warm up, after 15 min. I went out got in it, flipped the heater blower switch to high. the beast stalled immediately no..chug..chug die.. just immediated motor stopped running.

I then turned the key off and then tried to restart,it turns over strong but will not start. I checked the fuses today, the only one that blew was the ignition buzzer which of coure made no difference. It will start with starter fluid in the electronic carb, but dies once the the starter fluid is burnt up.

When the heater blower is turned to the high position, it clicks breifly and the check engine light comes on breifly and the blower doesn't blow.

Now I did run the beast very low on gas on thursday night, I put 5 gallons in and drove it 12.5 miles home and parked it. It wasn't started until friday am.

Do you think I have 2 seperate problems? I put dry gas in the tank 10 mins. ago and will try to restart in a couple of mins.

Thanks, Gwendolyn

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

fuel supply.

If it runs ok when you use the ether, I would think that you haved a problem with a fuel pump.

Especially strange that it stalled when you turned the heater on...

3. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I'll assume the fuel pump is electric - and its probably not getting power.

When you initially turn the key to the on position (not starting the vehicle), for about 2-3 seconds, you should hear the fuel pump turn on and pressurize the fuel system.

When you turned the heater blower motor to high, it may have somehow affected the power going to the fuel pump (blown fuse, blown relay, melted wire, etc.).

I'd start by re-checking all your fuses and by either disconnecting or not using the heater blower motor.

cheers,

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

change the emblem that's on the grill, lol

5. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

Why change the emblem, it already says Chevy, the only truck known to man... :)

OK, you said electronic carb... Are you certain this isn't a throttle body fuel injection system? '87 they all went FI, but I think '86 was almost all FI, too. IF it's FI then you created a short when you flipped that switch and it killed the fuel pump, or at least power to the pump. I believe they are in no way on the same circuit so something has grounded where it should not have, or wires have burned together and/or overloaded a relay.

If it IS carbed then I'm not certain. I don't think there is anything on even the later model Q-jets that would utterly stop it from running. Since it runs with ether it's obviously getting fire, so I'll stick with the fuel pump short on a fuel injected truck for now...

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

It would be a lot easier if we knew what size Blazer and what engine.
    I can only assume so since you say electronic carb I'll guess S-10 Blazer with a 2.8 V-6 and throttle body fuel injection.
    Since you say it fires when you spray ether in the throttle body I'd guess fuel delivery problem. Remove the fuel cap, while listening at the fuel fill have someone cycle the key to the on position. The fuel pump should run foe about 10 seconds to prime the system. If you don't hear anything repeat procedure just to be sure, it should make a humming or buzzing sound. Under the hood there is a fuel pump prime lead, I beleive it is against the firewall on that truck, it is a single wire with a connector on the end but it isn't connected to anything. You can jump 12v to it with a fuse inline and run the fuel pump. If you can locate the lead try that. If no noise from tank try banging on the bottom of the tank with a rubber hammer or something similar while jumping the wire or cycling the key. Many times jarring the pump in the tank will get it started. If it does get the pump running this is only a temporary fix or a diagnostic aid as the pump will need replacement.
    If this is a full sized Blazer with a V-8 you would have a block mounted mechanical fuel pump if it has a carb. which I believe that year should.

7. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

After futher investigation, I discovered not only would the truck not start, but
    I also had no headlights but the turn signals worked, the light under the hood was off and I was getting no fuel to the carborator. We started looking for broken or burnt wires. We focused on the wiring associated with the blower motor. No luck there. I took the air filter off to get a better look at the wiring, while DH was in the house getting a cup of coffee. As I was leaning on the battery side of the truck contemplating, I heard a click and the hood light came on...yelled for DH, he came out and we focused on the wiring around the carb. DH then crawled under the truck where he found the battery cable was touching the header, pulled it out of the way, and low and behold all systems are a go.I must have been leaning on the battery cable enough to loosen the tension and break the short. I have fuel to the carb, lights, and the truck will start. Thanks for all the replys.

Gwendolyn..who has had to justify driving a CHEVY :bow: to her all FORD :nerd: family. I won't change my preference.

8. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

You probably spend a lot of time having to haul them around while their Fords are in the shop, eh? :)

I never even considered a little Blazer. So which is it?

9. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

A2 I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I'll try to answer. Yes, it is a 86 S-10 Blazer 4x4. (Reading off the title)

Run downs on the Chevys VS Fords in this family.

Me- 87(?) S15 4x4 GMC truck , cost free.. needed transfer case and tranny put back together, brought it home in pieces 187000. miles till I blew it up after getting stuck in heavy wet snow. I ran the crap out of that truck for 5 yrs

DH Ford Sable 129000. miles traded in on 1999 Ford F150 Extended Cab 4X4 more on this one later. had this car for 3 years

Me -93 Extended Cab Silverado 4x4 Got it with 137000 miles on it, wrecked for 1000. Ran the CRAP outta it for 5 years. She finally died of a broken frame this summer after the tranny (actually reverse) went out. At a grand old age of 287000. miles on it. This truck was just plain STOUT. Currently looking for a good deal on another one.

1999 Ford (see above) Bought brand new, in and out of the shop after the 1st 6 mo. 9 times for various problems. At 97000. miles Spun a journal bearing. Used motor, 2000.00 This truck still has various problems and has cost us a ton of money. 22000.00 original cost plus used motor 2000. Plus having it in and out of the shop for all the little nickle dime problems. :grit:

Me 86 Chevy S10 Blazer 157000. miles cost free, had a blown tranny seal, minor electrical probs.

In 10 years I have driven Chevys that cost me very little, even if you count putting them back together( I bartered a 86 mazda car for having the work done to the tranny on the blazer)

While DH's sissy truck has cost us more than the piece of junk is worth.