85 dodge truck electrical?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by insanity, Jul 11, 2006.

1. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hey guys.My 85 dodge truck (318v8) lost all power to the heater blower/radio/turn signals/wipers to i think.Basically about every thing in the fuse box.No fusses are blown.Is there a relay, or some type of electrical control box under the hood that controls this stuff.
    Its still runs but thats about it.

Thinking its a box under the hood that bolts to the firewall.But i cant recall the name of it to ask the auto parts store about it.
    Any ideas? :help:

2. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

check your fusable links.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I think i located the problem! DUH! I had forgotten about a box i replaced on the steering column.The key switch goes to it and turns on power to the hole truck if I'm not mistaken.Scratching head trying to remember.
    Someone had problems out of it before.And they have busted the couplings all to pieces while trying to pry them off.I put a new box in and glued all the wires into the couplings as they where loose and not getting connection.

:Bawling: I don't even want to mess with that again.Theres no slack at all in those wires and there large gauge to boot.Only thing i can think of to do is just solder the wires straight to the tabs on the box.
    This truck is a nightmare as someone has cut into just about every wire harness some where. :grump:

4. Dave S.

Dave S. Well-Known Member

The other thing you have to watch out for on the older Dodges is a penny falling into the cigarette lighter, it will blow the fuse and you will never find it! Been there, done that, several times.