Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
Joined
·
21,532 Posts
Years ago there was a Guy had a Hillbilly Shack on a Trailer that he would take around for different things.But it had a Wood Cook stove,Table,couple Chairs,and a Bed.About all you would need.I just thought it was so neet.

big rockpile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Someone posted another film of her and her house a while back. She hooked it up to her truck and took off to visit family I think. Cool lady!
 

·
Homestead Dreamer
Joined
·
878 Posts
Oh man, I'd love it! Thing is, I don't think the wife and kids would appreciate it :)
 

·
Unapologetically me
Joined
·
20,817 Posts
I think I woulda made it just a hiar bigger and put a shower in it.
Pretty nice tho. The main reason most of us need a big house and outbuildings is to store all the crap we don't need or use.
Think about it, if you just kept what you used on a weekly or monthly basis, how big a house would you need?
I'm inspired to fill the dumpster or go to ebaying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,374 Posts
I would think during periods of bad weather when staying indoors is preferable, those four walls would start to creep in a bit on you. Sounds neat, kinda like a kid having a fort. But I for one, couldn't handle it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
Just get an RV and be done with it. RV's have all the amenities, are license able, mobile if needed. Truly the "homesteaders" go-to, low impact housing option.

Could I live in something that small? Yes, as long as I still had my 1000+ sq ft shop building. The house is just a place to hang my hat at night (big or small).

The whole, "could you live in something this small" question makes for good news stories but has little practical value in the real world. If I needed to live in something like that, could I? Of course, you do what you have to do to survive.

Would I choose to live in something like that when I had other more livable options? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

She got some good publicity out of the deal anyway. Looks like WA state plates on that thing...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
Don't laugh, but I am going to be looking at this little charmer tomorrow afternoon. I am in the middle of a job transfer and I need a place now. I have lived simply before. I spent 4 months in a tent trailer with no running water, no electric and TEENAGERS while I built my last house. If I can survive that, I can survive anything.

http://manitoulinrealestate.ca/detail.cfm?LI_ID=1165
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,398 Posts
rileyjo said:
Don't laugh, but I am going to be looking at this little charmer tomorrow afternoon. I am in the middle of a job transfer and I need a place now. I have lived simply before. I spent 4 months in a tent trailer with no running water, no electric and TEENAGERS while I built my last house. If I can survive that, I can survive anything.

http://manitoulinrealestate.ca/detail.cfm?LI_ID=1165
What a great attitude! I think the little place is adorable and cozy looking. Your heating bill will be next to nothing! What an adventure!
 

·
If I need a Shelter
Joined
·
21,532 Posts
SteveD(TX) said:
I would think during periods of bad weather when staying indoors is preferable, those four walls would start to creep in a bit on you. Sounds neat, kinda like a kid having a fort. But I for one, couldn't handle it.

We spent a Winter in a Tent and it seemed it either rained or snowed all the time.Got to where we just got out and did what we wanted and figured it was just weather couldn't do anything about it.

big rockpile
 

·
Big Front Porch advocate
Joined
·
44,851 Posts
remember sancraft has just moved from a storage building 12 x 30 with two lofts that was a rent to own. Has windows and could be fixed up more as you have the cash...

basically the same idea, but these seem to be finished out nicely.

I like the tinytumbleweed cabins/houses.

Angie
 

·
Living the dream.
Joined
·
2,257 Posts
Wayne02 said:
Just get an RV and be done with it.
That's what I say. National publicity for living in a fancy camper? Maybe because she built it. I think all women should be able to build a "camper". The sad fact is that the publicity was probably more to make fun of her than respect for someone who chooses to live on less. They think it is real cute when a "normal" person lives in a small house, but nevermind the 3 billion people who do it around the world. Oh, well, what do they say, "All publicity is good publicity", I don't know if I agree. I have a buddy that lives in a 144 sq ft "micro-hut" as he calls it. Its a real nice place, nothing like a shack. Apparently a 12'x12' structure doen't need a building permit...
 

·
Master Of My Domain
Joined
·
7,220 Posts
Wayne02 said:
Just get an RV and be done with it. RV's have all the amenities, are license able, mobile if needed. Truly the "homesteaders" go-to, low impact housing option.

Could I live in something that small? Yes, as long as I still had my 1000+ sq ft shop building. The house is just a place to hang my hat at night (big or small).

The whole, "could you live in something this small" question makes for good news stories but has little practical value in the real world. If I needed to live in something like that, could I? Of course, you do what you have to do to survive.

Would I choose to live in something like that when I had other more livable options? Of course not, that's ridiculous.

She got some good publicity out of the deal anyway. Looks like WA state plates on that thing...

show us an RV built as sturdy as that house.
 

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
Joined
·
38,854 Posts
I don't think the publicity is to make fun of her at all. It's one of those "good news" stories. :)
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top