'84 Ford Ranger parking brake

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by HermitJohn, Dec 3, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I am using last warm day to install rear brakes on my old Ranger. I can rant about stupidity of former owner for just disconnecting all rear brake parts and tossing them. However my real anger is at Haynes manual for using pictures of "typical" Ford drum brakes rather than actual RANGER brakes. They show on 'typical' Ford brakes the parking brake actuator arm that pivots on pin connected to rear shoe. Well not only doesnt the new shoes for this Ranger have a spare round hole for such a pin, but no autoparts catalog shows such a lever. They show the adjuster plate as the emergency brake lever but just show the individual piece, not with everything hooked up. I dont see a place on adjuster plate to attach emergency brake cable nor do I see how this would engage the brakes.

Getting late enough in the day, that I am just going to assemble brakes without connecting emergency brake cable. Everything else is going together fine and adjusters work. Brakes will function, just no emergency brake function. I assume there is a missing lever to attach the cable to.

If anybody knows of a website with diagram or pics of actual Ranger rear drum brakes, please post and let me know. Thanks.

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

4. HermitJohn

Yes that is what I would expect. Problem is there isnt an extra hole in rear shoe for such a lever to pin to. I can drill a hole and make my own lever I guess, but be nicer to do it the factory way. Either these are wrong brake shoes or in 84 they did it differently. Probably different in '84 as brake shoes fit and work in every other way.

I already went thru the head butting against stone wall cause I have a rare front sway bar that goes back of front axle. And stupid parts stores just carry the more popular bushings for sway bar that goes in front of front axle. They find something labelled "swaybar repair kit" but have no way to tell me what is in it. I am suppose to plop my money down and special order it without knowing if it is what I need. Crazy way to run a store and crazy way to waste money on such a gamble. I finally found place on line to get two of the bushings I needed (they had pictures) and just used universal 1 inch bushings for the other two and modified the universal bracket that came with them..

5. HermitJohn

Ok, think I found answer to part of my confusion. As I said brake shoe where parking brake lever would attach doesnt have a round hole in right place for pin to connect the two. It does however toward top of shoe have a 'hatchet head' shaped hole. Got to looking in my collection of manuals and early Plymouth minivan had same thing. Their is no pin. Little piece of metal jutts out from lever and fits in this odd shaped hole and holds lever in place without clips, etc. Allows enough of a pivot for lever to engage brakes.

thing is no autoparts place carries this little gem. Not something you'd ever replace on average vehicle. Just foolish previous owners of my truck decided to throw it away. Junk yards anymore dont want you to go out in their yard for liability/potential theft reasons and they dont want to waste the time to send somebody out cause they arent going to make anything. Wish somebody would establish one of those pick-a-part junkyards in this area.

I do have an old minivan I use for storage so go see if its parking brake levers will adapt. Save making one from scrap iron. No biggie if I have to shorten/lengthen or otherwise modify it a bit.

6. HermitJohn

Bingo, the Plymouth van brake shoe is wider but metal part is exact same shape with same holes and I was able to use the parking brake actuating lever out of it in the Ranger without modification. Think I found likely reason the previous owners removed the rear brakes. The parking brake cable was rusted in the "ON" position on drivers side. Bet he was annoyed. Took me a while to lube it and get it working. Probably going to have to be replaced eventually.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The parking brake on my 84 Ranger has been an almost constant problem. Mostly the tightening mechanism is located essentially under the body at the back end of the driver's door. Thus, exposed to elements. Last time it broke I was unable to find a replacement, thus cobbled together my own. Have to replace the cable every couple of years due to stretching.

I have a repair manual for it about the size of a city telephone book. Unfortuante it is in the truck in the bay at a repair shop.

I could change the oil filter fine on my 84. On the 88 there is some type of tube running under it, making it almost mandatory to be put up on a rack for changing. I suspect Ford engineers drive Chevys.

8. HermitJohn

I have just been reading about Daimler Chrysler 2.4 "world engine". All I can say is that even todays automotive technology gives me a headache even thinking about working on it. I really dont see the necessity of super complexity and expense in the name of an incremental increase in efficiency. I think piston engines are near their limit short of going to ceramics and much higher operating temps. I wonder if engineers of any automotive company dont drive restored antique cars. I would think these modern wonders just make it prohibative to even consider repair outside initial manufacturer warranty. Then our benevolent leaders will get the idea to ban "antiques". Total dependence and constant payments. Lovely.